Forum is undergoing some back-end transfers and updates, please be patient if the forum is down or loading slowly!

Training Counterstrike - Lord Vexx’s School of the Duel

IC: Kint Dranlor

Striding through the halls of the lair of Grievance Vexx, Omegon felt a shiver flash down his spine. In his mind he knew he had nothing to be afraid of; after all, many a sith must have been here before and come out unscathed. But in his heart, all he felt was dread, pure and unadulterated.

Thankfully, due to his time serving the Emperor, he had experience dealing with Dread.

And so onward he strode, past the fluctuating lights and into the training hall. And when the terrifying Kaleesh showed his... could he call it a face? In any case, he did his best not to show fear, and face the challenge head on.

Kneeling, Omegon raised his head. “Thank you, Lord Vexx. I am here to learn, train, and improve. I hope you find me a most receptive student.”

Placing a hand on each of his swords and their pommels, he drew them and held them out as an offering to the Lord for inspection should he so desire it. “These are my blades; it is my hope that you may forge me into a blade stronger yet than even them.”

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber VI

Vexx looks upon the abnormally large Zabrak with an unreadable gaze. They are very close in size and the cyborg can’t help but feel they would be equally matched in strength, though perhaps not skill, if they were to fight each other here and now, but that is not what will take place just yet. That would be almost as cruel as activating the trap door under where Omegon kneels to deposit him into Grog’s food bowl. Fortunately, Vexx is not feeling quite that cantankerous today.

“You have come this far; I would hope you intend to be receptive,” he replies, well aware of just how “not fun” it is to venture into his lair alone. He has reason to assume Omegon is of the warrior class, but Vexx is never one to assume anything. Instead, he is direct and he asks, “What class do you identify with, Dread Knight?”

He begins circling Omegon, an act one might assume is meant to intimidate, but this is not entirely the intent. Vexx is studying his newest student; the way he carries himself; his expression; his grip on his weapons as he offers them for his tutor to inspect. The Krigsbefallaf of House Cruor is an observer and analyzer at his core and this is what makes him so flexible in most situations he finds himself in. The first thing he notices is that this knight’s blades are not the traditional lightsabers of most Sith. This could prove to be a very interesting course of training.

“Impressive weapons,” he comments, circling around to stand in front of Omegon once again, “Rise, Dread Knight. Doubtless, your hard work has earned you these unique blades, yet you seek more knowledge and experience. This is admirable, for regardless of what anyone may tell you, there are no experts on any subject in life. Why? Because life is ever changing, necessitating the need to forever be learning. The day we think we know all is the day we become tragically foolish. What is the highest priority thing you wish to learn right now? What questions about combat plague you the most? Where do you feel you are weakest?”

He pauses, sensing the same tension he has been met with every time he has approached a student with these questions. They make most uncomfortable; nervous. And who can blame them? Among Sith, being honest with weaknesses can be a knife in the hands of one who very well could stab them in the back. However, they are in unique company when they find themselves in this situation with Grievance Vexx.

“Fear not,” he reassures Omegon, “Honesty will not come back to bite you today. I ask to learn not how to harm you, but how to help you. I will give you my knowledge, but in exchange, you will have to trust me with your honesty.”

Tag: @Kint Dranlor

IC: Omegon

Chuckling, Omegon shook his head. “It may surprise you, Lord Vexx, but I am a sorcerer. Not many would guess, due to my frame and choice of weaponry, but the arcane arts of sith magic is where my true passion lies.”

Straightening his back, Omegon made sure to stay still as the Dark Lord circled him. He could tell he was being measured and gaged, judged and observed, and he welcomed it. After all, the Krigsbefallaf would need to know everything about him if he were to train him at maximum effectiveness.

Kint hesitated a half second when asked his weaknesses, but he knew to be honest. After all, if one did not trust a teacher enough to tell them one’s weaknesses, then there was no point being taught at all. No, better to expose weakness to Lord Vexx and then have it remedied, than to allow pride to cause him to fail in training and become weaker because of it.

“I know how to win a duel with sorcery and trickery. But with purely a blade? I wish to know skills, techniques, and tricks that will enable me to engage my enemies both in a dueling pit and on the field of battle, whether one or many, and perform respectably. As a sorcerer, I doubt I shall ever be the most dedicated and powerful saber duelist in the empire. But I wish to have the cunning to bring down those who have more power than I.”

He took a second, thinking over the other two questions before replying. “As for what questions plague me the most, I want to know how to appear to be more than just one man, how to move and kill and strike with such speed and precision that it appears many are there. And my greatest weakness? As a man, pride. In the dueling ring? Technique with a blade. I am no beginner, but I have devoted more time, especially of late, to the study of sorcery and ancient tomes than to bladecraft.”

Tags: @Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

While he isn’t entirely caught off guard due to Omegon’s House association, Vexx is admittedly surprised that the towering, heavily-armored Zabrak wielding true steel weaponry is in fact more skilled in the art of sorcery rather than that of close combat with a blade. At the same time, he is pleased that one of this class desires to learn what some would dare to consider a “lesser” skill—an assumption Vexx has met and proven misinformed before.

“Excellent,” he replies to the explanation as to why Omegon has chosen to request his training, “Passion is a beautiful thing. Without it, motivation would be forced; without purpose. You already have it for a skill that requires a great deal. Let us hope a portion of that passion bleeds into wielding a blade. It will cause you to have greater skill to rely upon and if you enjoy what you are doing, you will be even better at it.”

He listens patiently and with no trace of judgement as Omegon details what he believes his weaknesses are. Indeed, his willingness to bring these things before Vexx without trying to hide anything will spare him a great deal of discomfort. If not told willingly, the Kaleesh cyborg is perfectly confident he can expose any weaknesses himself and in ways that would probably be embarrassing. Humiliation is not his way though; not unless it is deserved through arrogance or disrespect. Vexx prefers to give all of his students an opportunity to be forthcoming with him.

“The art of overwhelming is a skill I can teach you, for that is truly what you are seeking,” he replies, “To be an army of one is to be a relentless force forever in motion and leaving little to no time for your enemy to think about what his next move will be. What do you know about your chosen combat forms? I ask, not to criticize, but to help. With this being supplemental training, I like to learn what you know and fill in any holes that may manifest with the knowledge and experience I have gained through the years.”

Kint took a few seconds to gather his thoughts, remembering what he had been taught, and more importantly what he had learned from experience about his chosen lightsaber forms. "Niman is often discarded as a diplomat's form, but I chose it for a simple reason: it encourages creativity. It's moves are by far the easiest to augment with other weaponry, the dark side, or one's environment. They are also the easiest to mold to a situation. I can be aggressive, defensive, mobile or stationary with Niman, and as long as I am creative or skilled enough to find a way out, I can typically end a battle on top. Makashi, however, is far more suited to duels, with it's precise and controlled strikes. I will, if possible, interject makashi style blows into the flowing strikes of Niman in order to suprise my opponent, or whenever I am fighting a higher class duelist and cannot resort to force powers or tricks."

Gesturing to his twin blades, he held up first the saber, then the greatsword. "The Laer is far more useful in Niman, and the magnetic field of the blade makes it far easier to perform ripostes and angle thrusts from a lock. It is, obviously, far less effective at blocking blaster shots and other such attacks, and is less suited for battlefield combat. But I find that using it in conjunction with Niman makes for a deadly combination. As for Ignis, it is ideal for the sweeping and flowing blows of Niman, and can be used in virtually any situation. With my size, I can wield it with ease with just one hand, allowing my other to be occupied with perhaps a slugthrower, or for sith spells."

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber V

Grievance Vexx remembers well the scholar who had so thoroughly answered his call to action in giving an example of the Art of War and utilizing energy. He recalls the elderly man’s courage in spite of the cyborg’s intimidating presence, leering over his shoulder, culminating tension in the room as he had drilled him with his cold reptilian stare. He is a little surprised to sense Senec Tinople approaching, an elderly creature seeking training from a younger being, though with all his droid-like appearance, it is easy to believe Vexx is ancient as easy as it is to believe he is young. One simply cannot tell.

In any case, the cyborg watches Senec’s every move from the time he docks on the landing pad. Whether he has eyes on his guests by way of cameras or by way of the Force is uncertain, but either way, he doesn’t keep Senec waiting long before he appears in all his intimidating glory, cybernetics whirring and clicking softly in the tomblike silence of his cavernous retreat.

As the apprentice follows the veteran duelist to the training chamber Vexx has set aside for him, the Krigsbefallaf listens with well hidden interest as Senec maintains respect and offers his expectations of what will occur in this training. At least he knows this will not be easy. Nothing aggravates Vexx more than an arrogant student who thinks this training will be a walk in the park. So far, Senec remains on favorable terms. Vexx is admittedly perplexed over the intriguing personality of the Caamasi scholar, however. He has heard of this race before. They are almost the polar opposite of the culture of the Kaleesh. Peace-loving, pacifist creatures. Vexx is surprised to learn that one, in his elder years, seeks to align himself with the Sith.

“Your expectations are correct, Senec Tinople,” he replies, pausing to turn and face the Caamasi, “This will not be easy, but I assure you, it will be worth it. You do not seem like the type who would shy away from hard work. This is to your favor as, in the Sith Empire, you will learn that very little comes with ease.”

The lights come on in Vexx’s fifth training chamber, revealing a room with plenty of space for movement, but it is also filled with walls lined with an endless assortment of weapons, most of them lightsabers. It is anyone’s guess how the cyborg came to stockpile so many.

“This will be our classroom, Senec Tinople,” he continues, “And your first lesson begins now. You are a well-read and literate scholar, yes? I want you to dig through the libraries of your soul and bring forth one descriptive word you would wish to have applied to yourself in combat. This word—whatever it is—should resonate with victory, for it will be your battlecry. Take your time and draw the word into your consciousness; meditate on it and verify that it feels right before you deem yourself ready to commit to it, for this word was inside you from birth. Whatever it is, this word will lay the foundation upon which you will build the rest of your training.”

Saying no more, the cyborg paces away a few strides and stands in silence as though he himself is meditating. Maybe he is and maybe he isn’t. Whatever the case may be, his silence and distance is intentional as he gives his student time and space to search his soul for the battlecry within.

OOC- I would recommend visiting thesaurus.com as a way to expound on your chosen word as oftentimes, a common word has a synonym that sounds stronger or deeper and it may adhere to your character better than the original word you come up with. Thesaurus.com is also an invaluable tool to use when looking to put a little more panache into your writing. If you have any questions, you may PM me here in the forums using the same conversation in which you submitted your CS.

Tag: @Senec Tinople

Conflict. It was a state of being into which he had been born, had been forged, his desire for power always battling with his Caamasi nature, his struggle to rise in fame continuously blocked by rival scholars and jealous competition, his spirit forever dissatisfied with his lot and fighting against life itself in a struggle to force it to offer him more. Suffering had long ago ceased to faze him, and conflict within himself and around him was always a constant echoing around him.

But combat. Combat was something altogether new for Senec Tinople. Since arriving in the Empire, he had been exposed to far more combat within a few months than in his several decades of life prior: a few brawls in the Kaas Cantina, a grueling mission to Etti IV. Yet combat was still a great unknown to him, one he had avoided as often as possible, not out of fear (or at least, not entirely), but out of a conscious goal to attain his own ends without resorting to crude violence. Yet violence was central to the way of the Sith, and Senec could avoid it no longer. As he stood within the training chamber, watching the lights slowly glow and reveal with greater clarity the weapons of war and trials around him, the cries and echoes of combat seemed to echo around him, as if the drums of war were gaining volume in his ears. He was like a Mon Calamari on a desert world, out of his element, and once again dread and doubt loomed over him, threatening to overwhelm him. Nonetheless, he stood fast, drawing on his fear for strength, listening to the grave words of Lord Grievance Vexx as war drums threatened to drown out the cyborg's very words.

These words surprised Senec. He had expected immediate physical challenge, being immediately pressed into combat, but instead the Sith Lord challenged his mind. His first task was almost deceptively innocent and small, Lord Vexx demanding that he think of a single word which would define his style of combat, determine his very essence as a warrior, become his ever-present battle cry. The task seemed almost frivolous, yet Senec knew better than to dismiss it. True, this word would be utmost importance to him in his training - Lord Vexx made that much clear - but the hidden lesson within these words was just as clear: if Senec were to succeed on the battlefield, it would not be a simple matter of physical strength, but also a matter of a warrior's resolve, a philosopher's clarity, and a Sith's cleverness.

With this in mind, Senec withdrew into introspection, the Sith Lord pacing away from him to give him space and time to carefully consider. Though inexperienced in combat, the Caamasi already had a certain philosophy of battle in mind, had spoken of it to his master, Darth Traya, many times before and during his apprenticeship. Senec's strengths in the Force manifested themselves in the mind far more than in brute strength: through cunning, illusions, and deception, subterfuge and chaos. Many apt descriptions, each describing a different facet of these goals, rushed through his mind in a flock.

He wished to be impregnable, untouchable, impervious, cryptic, enigmatic, his symphony of deception leaving his enemies unable to even fully comprehend their manner of defeat before it arrived.

He wished to be petrifying, dreadful, a force of mind-destroying fear whose deceptions and illusions would leave his victims reeling and insane, terrified of the phantom that haunted them and turned very reality against them.

Yet none of these words adequately expressed the fullness of Senec's aspiring philosophy. He racked his brain, trying to think of something that might fully encapsulate the dual qualities of being inscrutable and terrifying.

All of a sudden, his head rose with sudden resolve, his expression filled with certainty. He turned towards Lord Vexx, who prowled across the room from him.

"Tenebrous."

The cyborg watched him silently, his expression unreadable as he waited for Senec to explain. Now it was the Caamasi's turn to pace across the room, his eyes seeming to empty as he gazed inward and sought to describe his philosophy.

"I must confess, Lord Vexx, to being inexperienced in the art of combat. Surely you know this, else I would have little reason to be here. I have no great physical strength on my own, nor does the dark side manifest in me through great physical feats to rend my opponents limb-from-limb. Rather than digging my claws into my enemies physically, I dig into their mind with equal viciousness, turning their doubts against them so that they fall as much from their own weakness as from my own strength. As such, my philosophy of combat is not so simple; I seek to be a very force of nature, beyond even the comprehension of the weak, terrifying them by preying on their dreams and thoughts, rather than something as crude as lightsabers and lightning. And even to the strong, I would be inscrutable and menacing, continually turning their senses against them in a maze of confusion and chaos.

'In short, nothing more accurately describes my desired presence on the battlefield than that of a shadow. A shadow appears to have substance, yet its nature is not clear. It displays itself as a reflection of a particular thing, yet it exists unseen even without that thing, existing merely as the nature of light warped around an object. I would be similarly nebulous on the battlefield, oftentimes appearing to be visible, but only as the warping of my object's fears. My true nature would be far more cryptic, as my presence in each combat would be defined by my opponent's fears and doubts.

'However, my chosen word is not 'shadow,' but 'tenebrous.' For a shadow, hard to understand though it is, evokes no fear or confusion. It is part of the very nature of reality, and we therefore do not question it. But to be tenebrous is to be dark and shadowy, unnatural in its murkiness. To be tenebrous is to be obscure and hard to understand, confusing the mind by its very presence. And most importantly, that which is tenebrous causes gloom and, by extension, fear, for that which is unnaturally dark is therefore unknowable in nature, and that which is unknowable will always cause terror in the weak and doubt even in the strongest.

'Indeed, Lord Vexx, you are correct that this word has always been a part of me. Perhaps it too existed only in unnatural shadow, impossible for me to see until now, but now that I see it, I seek to understand it, for only through understanding it shall I conquer fear and make it my own servant. Therefore teach me the nature of shadow, Lord Vexx, and the essence of mystery, and the meaning of fear. For indeed, even now, I seek to join the ranks of House Tenebris, and I would be the very embodiment of that house, manifest in the galaxy as no other."

His philosophy described, Senec stood, filled with new purpose and inner strength, and readied himself for Lord Vexx's response and for his next task.

@Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Vexx had dabbled in all forms of lightsaber combat
in his earlier days, when he was being crafted into the killing machine he has become today. However, once he had become an apprentice, he had narrowed his preference down to three forms that he now relies on the most. Indeed, some have confused his flexibility with Niman, but when observed closer, the trained eye can tell he rotates between three favored forms, Makashi being the most prominent.

“If Makashi is something you wish to implement, you have come to the right Sith,” he assures the Zabrak Dread Knight, a glimmer of anticipation betraying his passion for this form, “Makashi is my form of choice in most instances. There are many benefits to be had in learning the Way of the Ysalamiri, Dread Knight; especially for those of us with a more brutish build. Most expect berserker qualities from duelists such as you or myself; an assumption attached to our stature. I have caught many a foe off guard by initiating a duel with Makashi. You can do the same if you are willing to learn.”

His attention then shifts to Omegon’s weapons as well as the aforementioned build of his student. The Krigsbefallaf begins circling the Knight once again, analyzing target muscle groups: arms, shoulders, back, and core; all key in strength and endurance for one wielding weapons of Omegon’s choice. Indeed, he has no doubt he could control his longsword singlehandedly for a time if required, though truthfully, Vexx would not recommend it long term. Admittedly though, the cyborg makes these evaluations purposely not taking into account Force augmentation, not that he is underestimating anyone or their power. He just chooses to draw from his knowledge as a Kaleesh swordsman. After all, he may not be the only one out there who prefers to rely on the Force to a bare minimum.

“Is Form II truly an interest of yours, Dread Knight?” he at last presents his direct question, “If so, I am more than willing and able to teach you. I must admit it would please me greatly to see a Sith of your physique take multiple attackers by surprise in melee combat.”

Nodding, Omegon spoke. “Yes. I have used Niman far more than Makashi up until now; I seek pure swordsmanship training, and Makashi would be the most fitting way to do that.” He tried to keep his face as blank and emotionless as possible as the massive cyborg stalked around him, doing his best to show no fear or trepidation.

“The precise blows of Makashi, the speed and efficiency of its movements, and its lack of reliance upon force powers. This is what I desire to learn. If I am deprived of my weaponry and outmatched in the force, I wish to know how to best my enemies through superior bladework and skill.” Omegon turned his head slightly, glancing around the room and wondering whether or not this was where they would be performing the training. It certainly looked adequate, but he was unsure.

"My size is, indeed, rather misleading. But relying on brute force is not something I wish to do. Resorting to such savagery means I have already failed in subtlety, skill, and cunning."

Tag: @Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

The Krigsbefallaf is an unending well of silent patience as he gives his Caamasi student time to process his thoughts of the future, for indeed, that is largely the drive of this lesson: so see the future glory one desires for oneself on the battlefield. Senec Tinople is a scholar and Vexx has not forgotten this and he fully expects that when this one’s mind is engaged, the more time given him, the clearer the results will be. In time, he will bring on the pressure for him to analyze and study quickly and respond with equal speed, but that is not a requirement at this time. This is all introspective and completely about unlocking the understanding for oneself.

As Senec finally speaks and brings forth his word with all the loquacious flare of a seasoned scribe, the cyborg is both impressed and further assured that his time will not be wasted on this one, which is always a concern of his at first. His teachings can increase the lifespan of those he trains and it is a constant concern in the beginning stages that these lessons will not be taken seriously, for they are a bit unexpected.

“Well done, Apprentice Tinople,” he finally responds, “I know you are apprenticed to Lady Traya and it is a fitting partnership, given the desires you have expressed here. No doubt, you will learn well from her as she is a master in the art of illusion. Let us hope my teachings here compliment what you will learn from her. Also, you seek to call House Tenebris your home; this is certainly a further advantage to you in accordance with your aspirations. I am well acquainted with the Head of that House: Dark Lord Draconis. He has my utmost respect.”

He paces away momentarily, letting his words reassure Senec that he understands very well the goals he strives for as an up and coming Sith. He is also distancing himself for a further reason: lesson two is not unlike the first lesson and will require that the student have time and space for further introspection.

“Music is a universal language, yes?” The question is presented in a rhetorical manner and therefore, Vexx continues as he does not expect an answer. “It is a powerful and yet unlikely weapon on the battlefield. In addition to the battlecry you have chosen, your next lesson requires that you find at least one song that bolsters your fighting spirit; one that fuels the fire of the fighter within you that knows no retreat and no surrender. It must have lyrics that resonate with you; perhaps correlate with your battlecry. Take your time and think back over different songs you have heard and see if there is one that makes you feel like an unstoppable force of nature.”

OOC- Congratulations, Senec Tinople; you have progressed to Lesson Two. For this lesson, you may present multiple songs if you wish, for the goal of this lesson is to help you begin a playlist that will be an arsenal of inspiration when you are writing a duel. The song(s) should fit your character’s personality and his drive to conquer. If you have any questions or need resources to search for songs that fit, you may PM me on the forums any time. May the Force be with you. ⚔️

OOC- @Senec Tinople

Still filled with satisfaction at the aptness of the word, Senec nodded gravely as Lord Vexx responded with approval. The lesson had been an odd one, yet he keenly felt how much it had benefited him to consider his philosophy of battle, try to reduce it to a single word worthy of repetition. Now with a much keener understanding of himself, Senec felt emboldened for the challenges ahead.

He inwardly prepared himself, sure that any moment he would be thrust into conflict, the battle lord lulling him into a false sense of security with the philosophical questions. Yet, again, he was caught off-guard. Instead of an introduction to the world of combat, Lord Vexx further delayed the dueling lessons themselves, instead proposing that Senec find anthems and songs of battle to gird his spirits and give him strength in battle. Blinking in surprise, Senec offered a distracted nod to the cyborg and turned away once more.

Truth be told, Senec was not much for listening to songs. In his youth, of course, he had listened to all the popular music of the day, yet as his spiritual journey to discover the depths of his power had continued, these distractions had grown irksome, too crass for Senec's tastes, his disgust for pathetic beings singing about their pathetic dreams and desires palpable. Most often of late, he turned to jatz or orchestral music, mostly of the Galactic Imperial Era, the lyrics of vocal pieces often more irritating to him than anything. Nevertheless, Lord Vexx had demanded a song of him, and a song he would produce.

A few minutes' musing provided him with ample answers, and he turned back to the Krigsbefallaf with a nod.

"It is an interesting challenge you present, Lord Vexx. Most often when I concentrate, I look to instrumental music to give me focus and resolve. Still, as you say, the power of words is not to be underestimated, and when paired with melody, they can often produce the strongest of emotions. In considering this question, I have come up with one primary song which would indeed encourage me in battle."

'The song begins by describing the person to whom the song is sung attempting to catch the singer by surprise, as the singer berates them for not knowing what they have gotten themselves into. They sing of how the horizon seemed to be cloudless, but now that they have precipitated battle, stormy weather has 'crept up out of nowhere.' The song continues on in this somewhat arrogant and condescending way at some length, but the crux of it is the repeated chorus:

"You'll never see it coming;
You'll see that my mind is too fast for eyes.
You're done in
By the time it's hit you, your last surprise."

'This song is perfect for my anthem of battle, for it describes how my mind operates at lightning speed, striking from every direction to induce fear and a feeling of being overwhelmed in my opponents. The song is full of action and contains that same confident resolve; therefore, it is a good match for me."

Senec paused, his mind turning, then continued, "There are a couple additional pieces which could also give me strength in battle. The first depicts a king of chaos battling and mocking his heroic opponents. The words are full of doom and gloom, making fun of their desire to do good and telling them that they have no chance of winning. The chorus of this song stands out to me particularly:

"And who are you to challenge the Knight?
Only a fool who thinks they're in the right.
You lost before you picked this fight.
Now let the shadow fall."

Senec offers a sardonic smile, "Of course, I am no knight; nevertheless, the aptness of the song stands. The song itself is based on an instrumental piece and is appropriately full of gloom and chaos. The last song which I might use in battle is a famous one, and one which is too long and complicated to repeat. Nevertheless, I shall offer you its title: O Fortuna."

Senec paces towards the center of the room, "As I said, instruments are more apt to speak to me than the voice, so I cannot guarantee how often these songs shall accompany my heart in battle; however, I do not consider the exercise in vain. It is better to know than not to know, after all."

OOC: Links:

@Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Training Chamber VI

While Vexx has little to no qualms about using his brute strength when the mood suits him—usually when he’s faced with someone who provokes a lot of rage—he too prefers combat in a more “artistic” form, mostly because of the element of surprise it brings with it. Though one would never know it by looking at him, the Krigsbefallaf is delighted when Omegon reveals that he is indeed interested in learning his combat specialty of Form II.

“You do yourself a true favor in being open to this combat style, Dread Knight,” he replies, “There are many advantages Makashi affords the one who uses it. It is a form that conserves energy, for one thing. One of your stature would benefit from this, especially bearing the weight of heavy armor. Form II is also designed for the handling of multiple opponents when executed correctly.”

Since Omegon’s weapons are more traditional in nature, Vexx decides to handle this particular schooling session a bit differently than he has others up until now. On the far wall behind Omegon, two Kaleesh lig swords are mounted. He glances at them, then looks back at the Dread Knight, the hint of what might be equivalent to a mischievous grin glimmering in his reptilian eyes.

“Don’t move.”

It is all the warning Omegon will get before Vexx uses the Force to call both lig swords to his cybernetic hands. Like obedient twin Massiffs, the two weapons fly across the room, each whizzing past either side of Omegon’s head so close that, had he moved a centimeter to the right or the left, he would have doubtlessly lost an ear. The hilts give themselves over to the cyborg’s firm grasp with a satisfying sound of leather-wrapped steel meeting steel.

“Perhaps the best way for you to learn would be kinetically,” he suggests, offering one of the ancient Kaleesh weapons to the Dread Knight, “Would you care to duel, Knight Omegon of House Dreadwar?”

OOC- We will actually conduct our duel in a separate thread, so expect another tag shortly. ⚔️

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Grievance Vexx can tell he has twice now thrown Senec a curveball, deviating far from what one might expect when he enrolls in a school of swordsmanship. But this is where the Krigsbefallaf works hard to dispel the unconscious bias that warriors are nothing more than barbaric brutes that like to fight. While there are some for which the stigma would be rather fitting, Vexx himself is not one of them and, by extension, no one he trains should be one either. He knows better than anyone that the battle must be fought with the strength of the mind as much, if not more than, the strength of the body.

“Excellent.” The single rumbled word of commendation rolls softly through the chamber like distant thunder as Vexx approaches the Caamasi once again. “These lyrics—like the word you found within yourself—are meant to remind you who you want to be in battle. Mark my words, Tinople, there will be days of combat when you will doubt yourself. I implore you to use these songs as tools to pull yourself out of a defeated mindset when it comes. You will find your fire rekindled. I would also ask that you navigate your world with open ears and an open mind. Always be listening to the things around you; especially music. Even if you are tending bar or passing through a retail establishment, if there is music playing, try to catch the words. You may make a new discovery to add to the soundtrack of your life.”

This could very well be a testament to the cyborg’s heightened sense of hearing. As a Kaleesh, his hearing is naturally sensitive, but cybernetic implants have certainly amplified the sense to sometimes downright torturous levels as Vexx is sensitive to sounds that wouldn’t trouble most. Music is one such sound. He is incapable of tuning it out, which is unfortunate because he is rather picky in his preference and having a song “stuck” in his head is a common affliction. He often wonders if others suffer in similar ways and this is one way he has of possibly finding out.

“Congratulations, Senec Tinople, you are now on to Lesson Three,” he announces abruptly as though tact is a useless thing he would hardly consider, “Tell me your chosen fighting form and why you have chosen it. Let us see how much you know about it as well. Show me your weapon of choice and tell me about it. As before, I am speaking to your mind. Now is not necessarily the time for demonstration, though rest assured, that time will come. You are a researcher by nature. I want to know how much of your form is in that head of yours.”

OOC- You are now on to the next step in training. Put your own spin on presenting your chosen form and your weapon(s). Keep in mind that though Vexx has stated that demonstration is not particularly necessary, you are not forbidden to demonstrate what you know if this better suits the scene you are creating here.

Tag: @Senec Tinople

IC: Dread Knight Omegon

Omegon listened, nodding. He felt no need to correct the cyborg that his armor was, in fact, no weight at all, and that the servos and motors within would actually enhance his strength and speed. Perhaps he could use that to his advantage in the training to come.

As Lord Vexx ordered him not to move, he stiffened, his entire body freezing in place. He had spent time around Sith Lords before, and when they spoke, one either listened or one died. The blades flew past his head, and Omegon hear them slicing through the air as if they were cutting through reality itself.

His spine tingled and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up, brought alert by the near death experience. But, then, there it was. Vexx had offered him a chance to prove himself. Omegon wasn’t sure what would happen, but he knew one thing: He would do his master, his house, and his empire proud.

“I can think of no better way to pass the time, Lord Vexx,” Omegon said. A smile crept across his face. He was beginning to enjoy the presence of the Krigsbefallaf more and more. What better way to train than a live ammunition test run?

Tags: @Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber IV

Vexx opens up the channels of the Force between himself and his Cruor student, letting his own mental defenses fall and tapping heavily into Force Empathy to gain the clearest understanding of Sharkish’ki’s pain. His willingness to do this is without hesitation or apprehension is almost frightening. It is as if he hungers for this experience. He can feel Sharkish’ki grow tense and fight the urge to shy away. Ordinarily, he would not be so invasive of one’s personal space as the Krigsbefallaf values this himself, but this is a unique situation. And so, as though they are two soldiers crouched together in a foxhole in enemy territory, the elder Sith can feel the claws of anxiety grip his slightly younger comrade.

“Steady yourself, krigare,” he speaks calmly, so drawn into the feeling of camaraderie, he reverts to a Kaleesh term for his fellow warriors back on his homeworld, “This is only a memory. You are safe presently. This is already behind you.”

The nausea that strikes Sharkish’ki in turn strikes Vexx as he experiences the sensation of cold steel penetrating his insides and being drawn through with deliberate slowness. Just as keenly, he feels the helpless paralysis; the brutal removal and destruction of a limb; the burning of the flesh; the self-inflicted snapping of a bone; the longing to simply slump into the embrace of unconsciousness. As a warrior who is driven by honor, he can feel his anger burning toward the ones who had orchestrated this torture. While the strength it was intended to build is understood, it reminds him very much of his own torture and the cruelty he had been subjected to during his transformation. Character-building or not, it was unjust torture and punishment and there is little else in the galaxy that can stoke the Krigsbefallaf’s otherwise painfully subdued rage.

As the memories fade to the present, the cyborg slowly releases Sharkish’ki, but before he gives him back his personal space entirely, he places a hand on his shoulder in a simple gesture of camaraderie that denotes the unspoken message of “well done”. He then releases the Death Apprentice entirely and paces away a few strides, hands clasped behind his back once again as he revisits what he has learned in seeing the torture through the eyes of the tortured.

“You feared weakness; failure,” he turns to face Sharkish’ki slowly, his amber eyes burning like fiery coals behind his skull-like faceplate as he continues, “I can relate. I can also explain what happened there in that cavern. You were met with an opposition you could not fight and when that happens, the objective shifts. Rather than winning, your focus becomes survival. This is not weakness, Dödskrigare. This is choosing your battles. You witnessed the Trial of Blood in the recent Kaggath, yes? This is a great example of what I am referring to. It was a potentially lethal engagement. Though we were all driven by a desire for victory, the wisest of us on the battlefield had to adjust our objective or everything we did out there would be reduced to fruitless vanity. Our objective went from victory to survival. This, too, ties back to the Art of War. ‘Water shapes its course according to the ground over which it flows. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare, there are no constant conditions.’ Survival requires a certain flexibility and the truest Sith come from a long line of survivors. You are in good company, Sharkish’ki.”

Tag: @Sharkish’Ki

IC: Sharkish'Ki
Vassek III: Training Chamber IV

Sharkish'Ki felt the memory subside completely, as the musty fragrances of the chamber filled his nostrils with each deep inhale he took. His shoulder dropped a little, as the weight of Kaleeshi's hand pressed down upon him. The feeling that it imparted was not something he'd experienced for a very... very, long time. He didn't raise his eyes, for fear of showing too much gratitude, or too much of his pain, as he watched his tutor step away. The deep, taloned claw marks trailed away past his peripheral. The sand around him shuddered slightly as each grain attempted to settle again after each heavy footfall.
Lord Vexx's words piqued Sharkish'Ki's confidence, however. His thoughts swirled and tumbled in his mind, as their conversation became epiphany. The emotional aftershocks were all that tied him to that event, and it would be here that he would shed that burden. He had been lured, cornered, coerced, and broken. And now here he knelt. He felt pride swell within him as the Sith Lord offered his council, and he now knew himself better than before he'd entered the chamber.
"I understand, Lord Vexx. Thank you for your council" Sharkish'Ki raised his chest, squared his shoulders and, keeping his eyes down, he balled his fist and slammed it to his chest in salute.
"I would ask you, if I may;" He paused for a moment, as he considered that he'd been offered so much already. No, he thought, I am here to learn.

"With so much to learn of myself, the Force... What more would you teach me?"

Last edited:
IC- Dread Knight Omegon
Dueling Arena

Omegon’s teeth tightened into a rictus imitation of a grin as the growl escaped Vexx’s vocabulator. The more frustrated he could make his opponent, the more likely he was to make a mistake. Of course, he didn’t want to frustrate his instructor too much, and incur his wrath, but a little frustration couldn’t possibly hurt his efforts.

The impact of blade on blade vibrated up through his arm, grating down to his very bones, and he felt his arm being pushed away; as the blades broke contact, Omegon knew there could only be one reason for this: the Krigsbefallaf had decided to attack in return.

Omegon pushed himself back, withholding his blade for a block, saving it for his own blow, and instead attempting to avoid the blow. He felt the his enemy’s blade catch on his armor and score a centimeter scratch into its surface. Internally, he winced. He had constructed this armor himself, and repairing it would likely take hours of work. A shame, really. But it had to be done.

As Lord Vexx’s blade cut across the breastplate, Omegon’s own blade descended, hoping to catch the armored Lord’s wrist mid blow, and perhaps sever his cybernetic hand from its connected arm.

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Vexx knows without it being said or manifested through body language that Sharkish’ki appreciates what has just happened here. His knowledge does not come through the Force, however. It is something of a sixth sense that he developed long ago as a warrior among his people. In combat zones where enemy presence was thick, words spoken could lead to death
, but communication was no less important. This is how the mechanical warrior has honed the skill of sensitivity to the subtlest emotions of others. One cannot really judge him as a detached creature either. When he cares, it is genuine. When he doesn’t...well, he’s pretty good at making that crystal clear.

He pauses as Sharkish’ki starts to ask him something and becomes curious as the aspiring warrior hesitates. He glances back at him with what can safely be interpreted as a quirked brow behind his skull-like faceplate.

“The question you do not ask is the one that will come back and bite you one day,” he prompts Sharkish’ki in his moment of hesitation, “Remember that I told you honesty will provoke no fatality here and Sith though I may be, I remain a man of my word.”

The grating, ominous sound of a soft mechanical laugh echoes in the chamber as Vexx considers Sharkish’ki’s request, though his laugh is not in derision, but holds more of a reflective tone to it, as though he is again remembering his own journey through the ranks to become what he is today. He had fought his own hunger to know more of the Force so fiercely that his stubbornness had almost gotten him killed and questions regarding the Force had once been the highest of annoyances to him. Not so much now. For a moment, the Krigsbefallaf finds himself wondering just when that change had occurred, but he banishes the distraction and again focuses on his pupil.

“The Force should always be viewed as a resource to your victory, but not the sole source,” he advises cautiously, “In other words, you should be confident in your skill without the Force, for applying it when necessarily causes it to become reinforcement you can fall back on. The reason I say this is because there could very well be moments in combative situations where the Force is not readily at your disposal. I can give you a personal example. Are you familiar with the effects the presence of ysalmiri?”

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Vexx knows without it being said or manifested through body language that Sharkish’ki appreciates what has just happened here. His knowledge does not come through the Force, however. It is something of a sixth sense that he developed long ago as a warrior among his people. In combat zones where enemy presence was thick, words spoken could lead to death
, but communication was no less important. This is how the mechanical warrior has honed the skill of sensitivity to the subtlest emotions of others. One cannot really judge him as a detached creature either. When he cares, it is genuine. When he doesn’t...well, he’s pretty good at making that crystal clear.

He pauses as Sharkish’ki starts to ask him something and becomes curious as the aspiring warrior hesitates. He glances back at him with what can safely be interpreted as a quirked brow behind his skull-like faceplate.

“The question you do not ask is the one that will come back and bite you one day,” he prompts Sharkish’ki in his moment of hesitation, “Remember that I told you honesty will provoke no fatality here and Sith though I may be, I remain a man of my word.”

The grating, ominous sound of a soft mechanical laugh echoes in the chamber as Vexx considers Sharkish’ki’s request, though his laugh is not in derision, but holds more of a reflective tone to it, as though he is again remembering his own journey through the ranks to become what he is today. He had fought his own hunger to know more of the Force so fiercely that his stubbornness had almost gotten him killed and questions regarding the Force had once been the highest of annoyances to him. Not so much now. For a moment, the Krigsbefallaf finds himself wondering just when that change had occurred, but he banishes the distraction and again focuses on his pupil.

“The Force should always be viewed as a resource to your victory, but not the sole source,” he advises cautiously, “In other words, you should be confident in your skill without the Force, for applying it when necessarily causes it to become reinforcement you can fall back on. The reason I say this is because there could very well be moments in combative situations where the Force is not readily at your disposal. I can give you a personal example. Are you familiar with the effects the presence of ysalmiri?”

IC - Sharkish'Ki
Vessek III - Training Chamber IV

Sharkish'Ki felt pride mix with relief as the lesson continued. Again, the Lord's wisdom cut through Sharkish'Ki's diminishing diffidence. Sharkish'Ki was nothing if not resourceful, and he viewed Lord Vexx as an exceptional resource. He raised his chin and began watching the Kaleesh closely, relaxing in his presence.
"Yes, my Lord. I came across writings of these lizards not too long ago." Sharkish'Ki thought back to reading of Thrawn, and how he'd use them to protect himself from Force users. "My understanding is that they somehow nullify manipulation of the Force," he continued, as he rested his arm on his knee. "Though don't ask me how they do that... I'm don't recall my biology studies, and much of the text was redacted." He chuckled slightly before clearing his throat with a slight cough. "I understand your point though. Remind me to requisition one for the next time I go to meet Dread Sorcerers in a non-descrip cavern." Sharkish'Ki's thoughts jumbled up an entirely different scenario, in which his lightsaber swiftly defended his pride, and his missing limb. Such flights of fancy, he thought.

He cleared his mind, and refocussed on his tutor.

@Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Vexx is neither amused nor annoyed as Sharkish’ki voices his recollection of ysalimiri knowledge. He is merely neutral, listening objectively. Indeed, the lizard creatures are decidedly rare across the galaxy as he had never encountered them except but one time, which was more than enough for his lifetime. It had been during his service to the Night Herald at what seems like an eternity ago. He seems strangely pained as he revisits the memory for the sake of a lesson to his Cruor student.

“I experienced the effects of these creatures firsthand at one time,” he replies, “I was on a deadly mission. If it had happened before I had become slightly dependent on the Force, all would have been well, but...as fate would have it...I was caught helpless in their presence. It gave the enemy the upper hand temporarily. Had I not known how to fight without the Force, I might not be having this conversation with you now.”

He pauses, allowing the reality of what he is telling Sharkish’ki to sink in. While most among the Sith would drive the utmost importance of using the Force and the power of the Dark Side to control as much as possible, the Krigsbefallaf is suggesting the opposite. But not really. What he is suggesting is a balance. He knows Sharkish’ki is intelligent and he hopes that he will readily grasp this concept.

“The Force can be stripped away from you as easily as any weapon you hold in your hands,” he continues, “And it is much trickier to figure out how to prevent such a tragedy. That is why I hold these classes. It is why I train my students to be as cunning with their weapons as they are with the Force. It enables you to shift between the two in combat. Consider this: you enter a duel and attack first with the Force, perhaps to cast your opponent into thinking this is your chosen way of fighting. Halfway into the duel, you suddenly change gears and use the Force very little, relying on what you know as a traditional warrior. It will cause imbalance to your enemy without fail. Even if the imbalance is short-lived, it will expose weaknesses you can use. The same is true if you were to begin a duel on swordsmanship alone and suddenly pivot to Force use. It all equals imbalance.”

He pauses again as he realizes he has not finished his telling of what had happened in his encounter with the ysalimiri. While he isn’t sure about Sharkish’ki’s culture, he knows that within his own, one listening to a story will want to know the outcome and so the veteran warrior drifts back to his tale.

“The ysalimiri led to my unfortunate encounter with an even rarer creature: the Embrace of Pain,” he continues, his eyes narrowed in obvious disdain for this particular being, “Words cannot describe this thing, but I can tell you an encounter is agony in which you would wish to die. It is a cruel animal though, designed to torture and keep the mercy of death at bay. I might have been able to stand a chance at escape had I not been stripped of the Force at that time, but a lesson was to be learned from all of it and I am a better warrior because of the incident. I can promise you that though it looks like defeat at the moment, your encounter with Darth Skyllan will in time craft you into a better warrior than what you might have been had you never gone through the experience. Helplessness is terrifying, but it is also a very good teacher to those who are willing to learn.”

OOC- My apologies for taking so long getting back to this.

IC: Sharkish'Ki

Sharkish'Ki's mind eased as he listened to Lord Vexx's story and it's accompanying moral. It reminded him of his origins. He had never before relied on the Force; he felt it was as much a part of him, as any limb, but it had never been a tool he'd needed until now, as he found himself among those with greater power. Sharkish'Ki held the moment of silence as Lord Vexx concluded his statement, and mentally composed his reply.
"I understand this much, my Lord. The Force is a tool to be wielded and used at our leisure, and I understand your tactics." Sharkish'Ki paused to consider his next words. "I travelled to the heart of the Sith Empire to make this tool stronger; not to rely on it, but to make it worthy of use." Sharkish'Ki's voice was calm, with an insidious undertone of malice. "I remember bits and pieces of my childhood, wasting this talent to play pranks, and in petty one-upmanship with my peers," he recounted. "I seemed to lose my connection to the Force when I lost my memory, so there have been times where I didn't even know I had it."

He stared at the metal on his fist, slowly clenched his gauntlet toward the ground, as his gaze refocussed on the ground below. The jagged edges of the talons glimmered slightly as he flexed each of the phalanges, as the light of the numerous braziers that laden the above criss-cross of walkways reflected dully on the grazed and chipped durasteel, as if the blades themselves had learnt to steal light as well as life. All the while, small stones just out of reach began rising, rotating and tumbling as if gravity had suddenly lost its hold over over the tiny morsels of rock and sand.
"When my ability started resurfacing a year later, I got bolder with my kills in the cage-fights on Taris. My reactions grew quicker, and something fed my rage. I found myself snapping necks more often than showing mercy!"

Sharkish'Ki wanted to move around. He could feel himself succumbing to a memory-induced onslaught of emotions. The sand around him began to tremble slightly, as if the the Force responded like the subtlest of breezes. Sharkish'Ki's heart began to race. He stared at the moving sands and took a deep breath in an attempt to quell the anger he felt.
"My parents... my mother... they did this. They suppressed my ability through fear of what I would become. Now that I feel it coursing through me, you would suggest suppressing it again?" Sharkish'Ki grumbled.
"Whilst I see some wisdom there, I thought the point was to become stronger in the Force, so as to combat such encounters?" The sands settled and the stones tumbled softly, resting where they would, free of Sharkish'Ki's influence.
Sharkish'Ki's visage was a displeasing mixture of frustration, confusion and disapproval, and he knew it.

Showing his emotions was not something he was afraid of... yet.

@Grievance Vexx

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

The cyborg observes Sharkish’ki through eyes betraying a sense of intrigue as the aspiring Cruor warrior recounts his history with the Force. He becomes even more interested as Sharkish’ki describes a moment in time when his memory of his ability and, by extension, the ability itself faded from his grasp only to return some time later. Vexx can relate to not knowing the full extent of one’s own gift. He had been so blindly stubborn not so long ago. He narrows his eyes and his brow lowers behind his mask in a deepening scowl as he watches a handful of stones defy physics upon his student’s absent whim.

“Clearly, your past stirs a bitterness within you,” he replies, his eyes shifting to lock with those of his student, “One common thread connects all of us as Sith, my friend. We all have a past rife with pain and suffering of some sort, be it emotional or physical or psychological or a fine cocktail of the three. While rising above your past is an unspoken requirement to seize your future, you must not forget your past either. It should always be before you, not to haunt you, but to remind you of where you have been; what you have overcome; what you are becoming.”

The need to move seems to be a common thing between student and teacher as the latter lapses into gentle pacing for the sake of motion alone. Vexx begins to circle Sharkish’ki, not in an intentionally ominous or threatening fashion—though that comes naturally without the Krigsbefallaf even putting forth any effort—but it is more of a sense of drifting as he seems to slip in and out of the flickering torchlight, the quiet whirring of his mechanisms and the soft metallic grating of his talons on the stone floor mere reminders that he is more machine than man.

“As Sith, it is within our nature to have absolute control over any given situation and most use the Force to obtain this control,” his voice takes on a more challenging edge as he continues, “But how can you obtain this highly-valued control if you find yourself stripped of the very thing that could so easily give you that control? I can assure you, you do not have an answer right now...but you will. I will not tell you the answer, but I will help you find it.”

At this point, Vexx has circled around to stand in front of Sharkish’ki once more, but his back is turned to him. There is a weighted stretch of silence and the room seems to darken, although this could just be the Cruor student’s imagination. No, there is something going on here. The energy in the room is dimming the torches on the wall and the air is becoming oppressively heavy as the Krigsbefallaf’s armor etchings glow a bloody crimson, casting an eerie light all around the room.

Without warning, the metal beast whirls to face Sharkish’ki, his cloak snapping with the sudden motion as a none-too-polite Force push plasters the Cruor warrior to the far wall. Sharkish’ki will find himself forced back into the memories that had evoked the bitterness in him only moments prior. Those memories and more. There is a part of Vexx that loathes to do this as it is something he himself had been put through as an apprentice, but it had been a moment in which his master had tipped the scale of his understanding. This experience will be different than revisiting the memories of Sharkish’ki’s torture at the hands of Darth Skyllan. This is another experience in perceived helplessness in which the warrior will feel trapped and at the mercy of memories he has no desire to relive and he will feel alone.

“Show me your strength, Krigare!” the Krigsbefallaf commands, “It would appear that I alone control your mind. Is it true? If not, prove it!”

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums is a new home for one of the largest online Sith roleplaying and fan communities on the internet. We welcome you to join us in discussing lore, socializing, sharing fanart and fanfiction, roleplaying in our vast number of RPGs, and more.

ESE on Facebook

• The Final Sith Order
  • Help and Resources

• FAQ
  • Rules
  • TOS
  • Members online

No members online now.
    Back
    Top Bottom