Forum is undergoing some back-end transfers and updates, please be patient if the forum is down or loading slowly!

One Shot The Will of Flame - The Story of Samael the Lightbringer leading to The Prelude of Requiem

Darth Cold

Dark Council
The devaronian woke up gasping for air. It was the same nightmare again. The final battle with Typhojem. So many had died that day to bring down the false God. Samael had almost met the same fate, if not for God’s whispers guiding him through the summoned flames.

He breathed heavily, gulping in air. It had been five years and the battle still bothered him. So much pain, so much darkness. If it weren’t for God’s light showing him the way, he may have crumbled in the cold despair of facing that monstrosity.

After he calmed himself down, he wiped the cold sweat from his brow and climbed out of the silk satin sheets of his bed. It was always nice visiting the temple, but it never really felt like home. It was why he passed on his title of Leader of the Church to someone else. Any time he came to visit, they made special preparations for him, housed him in such fineties, and treated him as if he was the voice of God. It wasn’t something he really liked. But those that served had passed the trials of God, surviving baptism.

He forewent the beautifully ordained robes the acolytes had prepared for him for his normal black robes, burnt as they were, and made his way to the main altar of the temple. He glowered at the seat in front of the altar. His replacement, however well that they proclaimed they were close to God, couldn’t handle the heat of the flames for long, so served below them.

Samael ascended the stone steps into the everburning flames, sat down and began to meditate. The flames whispered to him as they crackled. He opened his senses into the Force. Ever since he stepped down from his position in the Church, he traveled wherever God sent him, but in that time he was also trying to find an old friend. The last time he saw them, they didn’t seem to be doing well, and had insisted they needed time alone to see things clearer. Samael had respected their decision, but still worried about them. His search for them was to see if they were feeling better. But it still had not proven fruitful. Though he trusted God’s guidance, he used his connection through the church to track his ship’s movements, though it seemed he didn’t travel with it anymore.

The flames whispered a new location to him, it was a cantina on Nar Shaddaa, The Peeping Pyjack. Ugh. Even the name sounded disgusting, but it was where God wanted him to go. With luck, maybe he would hear something about his friend.

As he stepped forward from the flames, he was met by Lysander, his replacement. “My Lord, it’s an honor to have you back with us. I’m sorry I wasn’t there to greet you on your arrival, the servants forgot to wake me, even after I specifically ordered them to alert me of your arrival. They’ll be punished, don’t worry.

Before Lysander could say another word, his throat was in Samael’s bare hand, the everburning fire grew brighter, the flames hotter. The Lightbringer was angry. “You dare call God’s acolytes your servants? You dare speak as if you have power? YOU DARE DISGRACE YOUR SERVICE TO GOD???” As he made his anger known, the heat from the flames began to melt the metal seat down the stairs below it.

As the seat melted into a puddle of metal Samael glared into the eyes of Lysander. “You are lucky God is currently sending me somewhere else now, or I would personally see to your replacement.” Samael seethed. Without another word, Lysander was launched through the front doors, rolling down the front steps.

Samael appeared from the doors standing above him, and for all the acolytes to see. Figures of flame stood at his side, as flames surrounded him almost like an aura. This was the first time anyone of the church had ever seen him like this. “When I return, you better have learned your place Lysander, or I will make a personal example of you as a nonbeliever.” As he growled out his warning, flames escaped his mouth. This was not the Samael that anyone had seen before. No one had ever seen him lose his temper. There was no way it could have been the Lightbringer, he was always kind, friendly, and happy. His words were not his own anymore. These words were the Will of the Flame, and they must be adhered.

Samael inhaled deeply, and then exhaled. The flames dissipated and the figures disappeared. He walked quietly down the stairs, passed the disgraceful Church leader and the acolytes. He made his way to a shuttle and left for Nar Shaddaa.

bcdjq6NsCyUCE33MwDULAFnryBtQQp7GDrOUXa_N3IwQo2HClvB41I50RuATIe8iG246NF99vW__2oeNAIJoMsTN5boIzqJufSaeRtSeAAtq8c1XR8qE6NF8RIoum8t6DSuMNOUiKabTLCsFPNQV4qo

The Peeping Pyjack. It was as disgusting as he thought it would be. Whatever. God had sent him here for a reason. He entered the cantina and was disturbed immediately. The first things he saw were drugged up dancers performing, a man paying someone in the corner for what seemed to be services from a very uncomfortable girl. The next thing he knew he was being grabbed by the shoulder by a bouncer. “You got business here kid?

Samael smiled at the man before responding. “I am but a servant of God on a mission of Peace. I’d like to offer my services to anyone that would like them.

Bah. A religious creep. We don’t want any of that mumbo jumbo nonsense you’re selling around here. Get lost.” The bouncer squeezed his hand tighter as he prepared himself to throw Samael out the door, only to begin to scream in pain. At first it was just his hand that began to burn, then his clothes were set alight, burning faster, making Samael known to those there.

Before anyone could escape out the back door a barrier of fire appeared. “The unworthy will burn. Those with truly pure hearts will be spared God’s wrath. Be baptized, and reborn in God’s light!” His blue eyes danced with amazement and wonder as he watched God perform miracles.

Happily there was a survivor of the baptism, someone truly worthy of God’s light. It was the uncomfortable girl from the corner, she was terrified. “P-p-p-please. D-d-d-don’t hurt me, please.

Samael approached her, kindly stretching out his hand. “It’s ok, you are safe. God has seen you are worthy of his light.” She slowly took his hand as he helped her up, and began telling her about the religion. You would think his words had been laced with the Force as he talked with her, and she hung on every word enthusiastically. But that was one thing he refused to do. He had been manipulated more than once like that. Never again. He would never again give into manipulation without a fight. And he would never try to manipulate someone else.

By the time they got to the shuttle she was onboard and ready to join the Church. But there was another distraction there waiting before they could leave. Some guards with a Jedi were stopping everyone at the spaceport, questioning them about the fire, and trying to find the arsonist. That was until the Jedi recognized Samael personally. He was one of the younglings that grew up with Samael, trained with him, but most importantly he was one of the bullies.

The Masters of the Jedi Temple where he grew up, along with the Council agreed to keep why Samael was no longer a part of the Order quiet. Never revealing his true nature. This Jedi remembered him as a happy go lucky pipsqueak. Old habits die hard apparently. It was like he forgot everything the Jedi Order taught him to be as a Peacekeeper. “Well if it isn’t little Samael? What’s a loser that couldn’t even become a Jedi doing here? I expected you to be living in garbage by now. I mean you do look like it already.” He grabbed Samael by the shirt. “How about we have some fun for old times sake?” He punched Samael repeatedly in the stomach while the guards looked on in shock.

After the first grunt of impact Samael reached behind this unworthy cretin, who didn’t notice. After receiving the fifth punch Samael spoke. “Do you know what I hate almost as much as the unworthy?” The next punch stopped as the Jedi looked at him confused. “I hate bullies!” Samael grabbed him from behind and set him alight. “But don’t worry, only the unworthy burn. If you survive I’ll forgive you because it’s God’s will.

His screams alerted the dumbfounded guards who now realized this was the arson. It was too late, the Jedi was already burning to ashes by the time they opened fire on him. Their bolts were deflected by a fiery orange lightsaber blade. It was as if a switch was flipped. “The unbelievers will burn. Only the worthy shall survive God’s baptismal fire. One way or another, you will see the light!” Before the guards knew what was happening they were alight, and they were not safe. Like the Jedi, they too burned to ashes.

The girl looked on, no longer terrified but in awe of the power of God that she was witnessing. She no longer was in doubt, she was sure she had found a righteous path in God’s light, and that this devaronian was truly a guide worth following. She then accompanied him onto the shuttle and left Nar Shaddaa for the temple.

bcdjq6NsCyUCE33MwDULAFnryBtQQp7GDrOUXa_N3IwQo2HClvB41I50RuATIe8iG246NF99vW__2oeNAIJoMsTN5boIzqJufSaeRtSeAAtq8c1XR8qE6NF8RIoum8t6DSuMNOUiKabTLCsFPNQV4qo

A year had passed since the events of Nar Shaddaa, Samael continued to follow the path God set before him, going where the whispers of the flame guided him. His search for his old friend still had no leads. His shuttle landed at the temple again. He hadn’t been here too often since his altercation with Lysander. As the door opened, he was met by the bright smile of an acolyte. “Lord Samael, I’m so happy to see you again!” She exclaimed excitedly. “Is there anything you need?

It took him a moment before he recognized the acolyte. It was the girl he found at The Peeping Pyjack. She looked healthier than when they first met, that made him happy. “Now I’m sure I’ve told you before Kya, it’s just Samael. I’m no Lord, just a devoted servant of God, spreading his light.

I’m sorry my Lord… I-I-I mean Samael, I didn’t mean to upset you. Please forgive me.” She looked down, blushing.

Samael just smiled, he took her chin in his hand, and lifted her head to look him in the eye. “I’m not upset. I just want everyone to realize we are all equal in the light of God. You are not beneath me. Don’t be afraid.” He let her go and continued into the temple where a meditation service was being held.

The acolytes were spread around the floor, meditating, feeling the heat of the everburning fire, and listening to its whispers as the flames cracked and sizzled. But there was one that was not like the rest. Lysander. The seat had returned, only it wasn’t just a chair anymore, it was a silver throne. He hadn’t noticed Samael’s return yet. He seemed to be admiring the view of some of the acolytes of the fairer persuasion. The acolytes closest to the doors however noticed him and began to whisper to each other.

The whispers began to get loud enough that it finally caught Lysander’s attention. “Samael, it’s wonderful to see you again.” He said as he began to rush to Samael with open arms. Kya, who had been at his side when they entered, shied behind Samael as Lysander approached. That did not go unnoticed.

What have you done?” Samael asked mournfully. “Lysander. What have you done?

Whatever do you mean?” He asked cluelessly.

The acolytes. They look upon you in fear. Some even fear being too close in your presence. And then there is the throne I saw you sitting on. What have you done?” Samael gestured around them.

I just did what you told me to do. I had the slaves learn their place.” He said, smiling as if there was nothing wrong with what he had just said.

Before he realized his mistake in words and arrogance, his throat was once more in Samael’s hand. “The acolytes were not the ones that needed to learn their place! You were not their Master! You were supposed to be their guide!” Samael explained as he dragged Lysander to the stairs leading to the altar. Lysander once again was launched, this time into the flames, quickly followed by his throne, which pinned him.

Samael ascended the stairs. “They are not your slaves! They are servants of God! Acolytes wishing to learn in his light! And you USED them! You treated them like they were yours! But you forgot the biggest problem with that. YOU ARE NOT GOD!!!

The flames grew hotter, and the silver throne began to melt on top of him. Lysander screamed in pain as Samael entered the flames and knelt by his head. “PLEASE! FORGIVE ME!” He cried out.

Do you know what I hate almost as much as the unworthy?” Samael whispered to him. “I hate bullies.” Samael spoke up louder after this. “I was wrong to think you would guide the church by God’s will. You weren’t the leader they needed. You became unworthy. And worse yet, you made yourself into a False God! And I know from experience that False Gods should suffer before they are snuffed out completely.” Samael stood up and backed away from the tormented man. “If God wishes to forgive you now, they will end your suffering, and let you live.

Samael stood there in the flames that continued to burn even hotter watching the silver throne continue to melt over Lysander’s body, as he listened to the disgraced man scream in his suffering and beg for mercy until his voice was drowned out by the molten silver covering his mouth. “It is done my Lord God. The unworthy shall burn. The False Gods shall fall. And when everything is right, the Galaxy will know your light!” Samael stepped to the edge of the flames and sat down where the acolytes could see him. “In God’s light we shall continue to listen to their voice in meditation. Please continue.” Samael closed his eyes and once more began to listen to the flames.

Samael awoke in his bed at first light. He sat at the window and watched the sunrise before getting dressed. He sighed before he opened the door, collecting himself, and hiding his depression with a smile. He gave up leadership originally because he felt trapped. And now he was trapped again, until he could find the next worthy leader.

Kya was once again waiting for him as he opened the door. Ever since Lysander’s death three months ago, she seemed to follow him everywhere he went like a lost puppy, hanging on his every word. “Good morning Kya. I hope you are having a wonderful day so far.

Her smile seemed to grow wider as he addressed her, a small shiver going up her spine. “Even better now Lord Samael. Samael I mean, I’m sorry I keep forgetting.” She blushed.

Samael once again obviously clueless to her true feelings, responded with a soft head pat, and continued on. The acolytes seemed to be more at ease these days, and taking to the meditations and lessons better.

The acolytes spent more and more time in meditation in their own free time, listening to the flames. Some had even left the temple on occasion to spread their knowledge of the light, though not in the way the Lightbringer would.

Kya, when not following Samael around, had even stepped up to help guide the others, following Samael’s example. It had not gone unnoticed. While Samael was the only one to meditate within the flames, Kya through determination of will, got closer to the fire slowly more and more as she became accustomed to the heat. Today she had gotten to the second to final step before entering the flames. She was the first to have ever come this close besides Samael. He had made his decision.

That evening as he ate dinner with the others he asked Kya to join him as he’d like to discuss something with her. She seemed happy but nervous as she had been wanting to talk to him as well, and thought she knew what the conversation was about. She was wrong. Instead of professing his love like she thought he was going to, he offered her the job as the Church of Fire’s new leader.

Before it registered with her on one he had asked she jumped up and down, bubbly crying out. “Yes! Yes A thousand times yes! I didn’t think you would ever ask!” And then it hit her. “Wait. What?

But it was already solidified. Samael stood up amongst the others and made his announcement. “Ladies and gentlemen. Good evening everyone. I would like to proudly announce that a new leader had been chosen. And I am sure she will not be led astray like the last. Everybody, I would like to introduce you all to the new Leader of the Church of Fire, Kya!” Samael clapped his hands as he gestured to Kya, who had a dumbfounded look on her face. This was definitely not what she expected.

Samael returned in the middle of the night. It was the anniversary of the day Kya was named the new leader of the church. There was no one there to greet him. Samael preferred it that way, he felt uncomfortable being treated as if he was special. As he entered the temple he saw one lone acolyte deep in meditation. He smiled at the man’s dedication.

It had been a long, and uncomfortable trip back this time. If he weren’t so tired, he would have stayed and meditated with the acolyte, providing guidance if needed. But not tonight. Samael entered the sleeping quarters of the temple and was about to climb the stairs to his room when he heard a gasp behind him.

Sammy?” The young blue Twi’lek child asked. “Sammy!” The boy cheered when Samael turned to see him, and ran to him. Samael picked the boy up and swung him around before enveloping him into a hug and releasing him. “I missed you so much Sammy.

I missed you too, Cole. But you know I have to ask. What are you doing up? Growing boys need their rest to get big and strong.” Samael said as he knelt down with his hand on the boy’s shoulder.

I had ta go potty, and then I got lost tryin ta find my room again.” The boy looked down ashamed.

Samael waited for the child to look at him, before he replied. “It’s ok, really. Let me help you find your room,” Samael began to poke the boy to cheer him up, “So you can get back to sleep and be the good boy God and I know you are.

The boy giggled. “Ok Sammy.” Samael took the boy’s hand and walked with him to their room, and tucked them in. Just as he was about to leave, Cole spoke. “Sammy? Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?

Of course.” Samael took a chair and set it by the bed. “You have nothing to fear, I won’t let anything hurt you.” He sat down as the boy closed his eyes.

As the boy tried to fall into the land of dreams, Samael began to remember how the boy first came to be under his watchful eye. God had sent him to Ryloth three months ago. Unlike usual, he was not given a specific place to go, he just knew he had to go to the planet itself. It was by the will of God, or possibly the Force guiding him in God’s stead that he came upon a village recently raided. There was no one there, dead bodies littered the ground, and the homes were alight. There was a clattering from one of the burning buildings, and Samael went to investigate.

Upon entering the building he saw the child, he was cowering in fear, trapped behind a wall of flames. The child was unharmed. Samael stepped through the flames to get the child. “It’s going to be ok. I won’t hurt you.” Before the child could react, Samael grabbed him and carried him through the smoke and flames, into the fresh air outside.

He told the child to stay there and he would be back after he dealt with the ones who did all this. After a couple hours of searching, Samael found the pirates camp and was appalled. There was a pile of violated dead twi’lek women, and a bunch of drunk pirates. They never noticed him until it was too late. The camp was alight, and their vehicles were exploding. A ring of fire encircled the camp burning brighter, and keeping the unworthy within. Before the flames got to them a few pirates finally noticed the devaronian and opened fire, but their aim while drunk was atrocious. It was too late for any of them as they all screamed as God showed their unworthiness, burning them to ashes, one by one as Samael stood there watching God pass his righteous fury.

After the pirates had been dealt with, Samael returned to the village, introduced himself to the child properly, and offered to take him somewhere that he would be safe. The child didn’t want to leave his mom, and it broke Samael’s heart to tell him that she was gone. After comforting him as he cried, the boy agreed to go with Samael back to the temple of the church. Samael left him in their care after that.

As Samael came back from his memory, he noticed Cole had drifted off to sleep. “Sweet dreams youngling, may God’s light guide you in peaceful slumber.” He whispered as he left the room.

He finally made it up the stairs to his room, and was about to prepare for bed when he noticed light breathing coming from his bed. As he got closer to inspect who or what it was, he found Kya there asleep. Samael was getting frustrated by this point, he just wanted to get some sleep, and one thing after another was preventing him from that. Kindness won out however, Samael pulled the covers higher over Kya as she slept, and sat down at his desk where he promptly fell asleep.

It felt like only seconds, but hours had passed when he was startled awake by a shriek. Kya had woken up to find Samael had returned in the dead of night, and was embarrassed that he found her sleeping in his bed. “I-I-I-I am so sorry. I-I-I d-d-didn’t know you were going to be b-b-back so soon, and I was, I was, I was so tired. A-a-and next thing I knew I woke up here, and you were right there, and… I’m so sorry!” She stammered as she rushed from the room.

The next few days after that anytime Samael was around, she made herself scarce. Feeling like he did something wrong, and wanting to figure out a way to fix things he did the one thing he thought would help him figure things out. He meditated in the everburning fire. The acolytes that were normally meditating at the time had to leave the room, as the flames grew too bright, and the heat was causing them to suffocate. Samael noticed none of this as his eyes were closed tight and the rush of the flowing flames canceled out any noise around him.

That was when everything went wrong. Cole had heard Samael was there and came rushing in. He saw Samael within the flames, and not understanding this was normal, ran to save the man that once saved him. “SAMMY!” He cried as he ran up the stairs to him, the other acolytes too slow to stop him. Samael didn’t notice until he felt the little arms wrap around him, and the boy’s voice in his ear. “Sammy! Don’t leave me! Don’t go!

Samael’s eyes opened, but it was too late. The boy's skin had already begun to melt from his bones, only for the bones to quickly char until falling apart into ashes. As Samael finally exited the flames, tears were falling from his eyes while he was covered in the ashes of the young boy named Cole. It was his fault, and he knew what he had to do. It was God’s Will. He must live in exile until he proved he was worthy to return to the people of God. He knew in his heart that this was a final goodbye. And so he left.

It had been a week since Samael exiled himself. He had no idea where he was anymore. But at that moment, he was hunting a monster of a man.

It began when Samael saw a man beating his daughter. Samael tried to get him to stop, but the man was twisted. He looked Samael in the eye as he snapped the young girl's neck and laughed.

Samael’s emotions exploded all at once. He began launching balls of fire at the man, who at that moment realized he had just messed up royally.

The sycophant ran, but Samael gave chase. He was emotionally broken, and that man pushed him too far. He had to burn.

They ran into a building, hoping to hide, but Samael lit it aflame before following the man in. While Samael trusted God to deliver righteous justice, this was something he needed to attend to personally.

The first floor of the building seemed to be an astromech factory with not many places to hide. Samael continued to throw balls of fire throughout the room, until he saw a door on the far side open and close. Following through the door it led to a staircase going up. As he climbed the stairs, a line of fire followed as if God wanted to see personally what he was going to do.

When he got to the 12th floor the door to the floor was ajar, but before he entered another man in glasses pushed past him in a hurry, his clothes charred but they seemed unharmed. God had marked him as worthy, but what the man was up to was a mystery. Samael followed him through the door, still on his hunt. Out of the corner of his eye, Samael saw the man in glasses found what he was searching for, a large leather bound book. What happened next was either the bravest damned thing Samael had ever seen someone do, or the stupidest. The man in glasses ran as fast as he could at a window and jumped through it, the leather bound book held tightly in his arms. Whether by luck, or very well planned timing he landed in the back of a speeder as it passed by.

Samael looked incredulously on for a moment before resuming his hunt. It seemed the hunted was amazed at the sight as well because he stood there, mouth agape, where Samael could plainly see him. More balls of fire were launched at him. He noticed just in time to jump out of the way, but there was nowhere else to run. He was backed into a corner with Samael closing in. The man seemed to believe if someone else could do it, he could do it two. He ran at the nearest window and jumped, just as he was about to make it through, a ball of fire struck him in the middle of his back, pushing him harder through the window. Unlike the man in glasses, he didn’t land in the back of a passing speeder. No, he fell in front of one that struck him in the head as he fell to the ground. Samael watched as the man landed in the middle of the road, dead. The girl’s murderer was brought to justice, and that was all that mattered.

Samael had lost track of how long it had been since Cole’s death. Was it a year already? Was it two? He once again was getting alerted by his Holocom that a call was coming in. It was probably Kya again trying to insist it wasn’t his fault and that he could come back.

He came across some of the acolytes from time to time. They insisted as well that he should come back, and that everyone truly missed him. It hurt, but he knew that he couldn’t return, each time he just told them, “Maybe. One day. But not today.” Placating them for a while until the next time.

He continued his travels, still searching for his friend, but doing God’s work for the most part. He had just burned a Gang Leader alive after they executed a poor child’s parents. But he didn’t hear the screams. He never heard the screams anymore. Only Cole’s last plea.

The gang had dispersed, at first he thought it was because of what happened to their leader, but the arriving footsteps provided another answer. Jedi. Supposed Peacekeepers. It was a lie. They were fake. They used the title to hide what they truly were. Unworthy. Bullies. The younger generation were all the same.

Sith! Your evil is not wanted here! Get lost before we put you down permanently!

Samael sighed. “I am a Servant of God. I perform ceremonies in his name, and baptize others in his light. Evil has no place in his light, so therefore I am not evil. Can you say the same?” The Jedi, immediately activated their weapons hoping to deter Samael, and have him retreat. Instead he sighed and activated his fiery orange lightsaber and took a defensive stance. “I don’t want to fight you, but I will do what I must. If it is impossible that we don’t end up in battle, may God’s light guide you.

The two Jedi Knights on each side of the one that spoke lunged forward in attack. Samael was quick to knock their blades away from him, followed by a fireball to the one on his left’s chest, and screaming in frustration at the one on his right, a torrent of flame escaping his maw.

The Jedi to his left was now rolling on the ground trying to put out the flames, however he was badly burned. The Jedi to his right was no more. He looked to the first Jedi, and retook his defensive stance. “Take your friend and leave. He needs medical treatment if he is to survive those burns. Don’t add anymore unnecessary violence where there needs to be none.

That is why I have to take you down. So no more unnecessary violence can be spread by you!” He spat as he charged forward. The attacks were faster than the other two, by the time Samael fended off one attack, he had to adjust for the next. But then Samael’s finger’s snapped, and the Jedi was launched backwards in an explosion. Samael was just done with the day. Just as the badly burned Jedi had finally put out the fire that had engulfed him, Samael sent another ball of fire at the man’s face without a single thought. God had already found the man unworthy.

Samael approached the unconscious Jedi, and knelt next to them and whispered. “I hate bullies.” The Jedi was lit aflame like a living funeral pyre. With that he stood up, and left.

Samael had just landed on Ord Mantell; he had finally gotten information from someone that had recognized his friend’s description and told him to go to Ord Mantell and ask around. Just as he got to the middle of town, he happened to look up and recognized the ship that had just taken off.

His friend was here, and just left. Why? Why was his timing so unfortunate? Why wasn’t he fast enough? Samael sighed, and turned back around to the Spaceport. If the kind Lord was on his ship again, Samael knew he would be able to follow.

Continued in Prelude to Requiem: The Lost Jedi

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums is a new home for one of the largest online Sith roleplaying and fan communities on the internet. We welcome you to join us in discussing lore, socializing, sharing fanart and fanfiction, roleplaying in our vast number of RPGs, and more.

ESE on Facebook

• The Final Sith Order
  • Help and Resources

• FAQ
  • Rules
  • TOS
  • Members online

No members online now.
    Back
    Top Bottom