Forum is undergoing some back-end transfers and updates, please be patient if the forum is down or loading slowly!

Discussion That’s not how the threads work: The Sequel Trilogy Movie Discussion Thread

dragonsith13

Emissary of Death
Immortalis
1587129449215.png1587129464659.png1587129480194.png
The Sequel Trilogy: The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, The Rise of Skywalker
Your thread for all things relating to the Sequel Trilogy. Discuss, debate, tell us your favorite scenes, characters, and when you first saw them.
Keep the discussion related to the movies, characters, plots, scenes, scripts, and anything else related to the movies themselves.​

Does anyone else here just like the films as they are? Sure there’s some issues with the narrative, but I like them all as is.

They all work as a piece of the puzzle to a larger picture.

TFA - was exactly what we needed after such a long time since the original trilogy releases.

And I have a secret love for TLJ - which is for me a captivating overall movie. Yes there are parts of it I shake my head and honestly cannot stand. But overall I love the movie.

For me, I feel like the sequel trilogy, for all its flaws, gets a lot of flack and bs over weird nitpicky stuff, or trying to bully the cast because of how their characters were written.

TFA: fairly formulaic, but I felt it was an excellent springboard for future installments, and set up the current state of the world well enough that you had a solid grasp of all the major players and events.

TLJ: Tried new themes and to subvert some of the audience expectations and tropes of the genre. However, in my opinion, failed because Rian Johnson was thinking about audience reactions rather than the characters in the film. Handled much more deftly and brilliantly in Knives Out.

TLS: A reaction to fan reaction to TLJ, tried to cram in easter eggs and fan favorites and OT stuff, at the expense of the overall story. It felt like JJ Abrams had a ton of ideas for what should happen in 8 and 9 and then crammed it all into 9.

It was a real pity, because to me the things that captivated me about TFA never really got followed up on.

"For me, I feel like the sequel trilogy, for all its flaws, gets a lot of flack and bs over weird nitpicky stuff, or trying to bully the cast because of how their characters were written."

I think that this could be said in general for movie and TV works these days. Everyone feels the need to interject their opinion into things that are produced and released. Instead of watching a work and enjoying it for what it is and the fact that it was created, we feel the need to be critical of all the things we do not like. There is a certain level of "I would have done that differently, or wish to have seen something else happen" a natural tendency as a fan, but too many have taken it well beyond that. People argue back and forth, to the point of insulting one another personally because of their views on a work of fiction.

Entertainment is and should always escape and enjoyable experience.

I do agree with you that JJ Abrams had a lot to accomplish in the last movie, but overall I think it was done well, with the entire ST it was never going to appeal to everyone. But that is ok.

I like the seventh movie quite a bit, it's the strongest of the sequels. The eighth movie I just don't really like, like, it's an alright movie. But I don't just like it as a Star Wars movie. And then the last one, I just think it's weak. I think the writing is somewhat lazy and the return of Palpatine was very poorly done.
I have not seen these movies somewhat recently, so I might watch them again sometime and write out my opinions a bit better.

I agree. I think the 7th was like, really inspiring. The story beats were familiar, but it established itself well enough and had new enough concepts that it excited people. Then the 8th movie was like... just entirely a whiplash in tone and content. I find a lot of the behind-the-scenes on that movie really baffling, esp some of the interviews with I think RR (and other Disney heads? I don't recall) talking about wanting to subvert fan expectations and that's... that's a bad way to write a movie. You don't write a movie based on fan expectations and reactions. You write a good movie.

And I agree with 9 it was a reaction to 8 so it was trying to be two movies and wasn't really succeeding. It was a sad conclusion to a trilogy that I think started with a lot of promise.

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums is a new home for one of the largest online Sith roleplaying and fan communities on the internet. We welcome you to join us in discussing lore, socializing, sharing fanart and fanfiction, roleplaying in our vast number of RPGs, and more.

ESE on Facebook

• The Final Sith Order
  • Help and Resources

• FAQ
  • Rules
  • TOS
  • Members online

No members online now.
    Back
    Top Bottom