Forum is undergoing some back-end transfers and updates, please be patient if the forum is down or loading slowly!

Training Counterstrike - Lord Vexx’s School of the Duel

Tobbi Airskipper

IC: Tobbi Airskipper

Vassek III - Training Chamber III

Tobbi widened his eyes at Lord Vexx's proposition of a duel; Tobbi didn't know whether to be contemplative or scared, but within his heart, Tobbi felt nothing but excitement. Deep within his soul, Tobbi knew he would be a dueling enthusiast and enjoyed regularly displaying such aptitude for everyone to see. In Tobbi's mind, duels were something to be cherished; it was an opportunity to express not only who but all that you are and collide with opposition.

After all, diamonds are formed once they are pressured with an opposing force, and the making of an extraordinary Sith was no different. Tobbi had big dreams and lofty ambitions, and to achieve those things, he needed to not only work the hardest but also become the smartest, fastest, and most willful of his peers.

Tobbi wasn't sure if this could fully be accomplished as there was some excellent competition within this empire, and many of his peers provided many different insights into this empire. Tobbi respected them all in his own way, even if they thought he was insufferable. Tobbi didn't mind as much anymore; he was used to people misunderstanding him, but it occasionally annoyed him, but Tobbi knew that he was valued and appreciated by others, such as Lord Vexx, a critical factor Tobbi.

With no hesitation, Tobbi ignited his lightsaber and resumed his Djem-so stance.

"I'm always ready for a duel, my Lord. I think you'll find my dueling methods are more unorthodox for a person of my skill level. I even fought a Wookie with a slugthrower; he claimed to be one of Lord Cruor's experimentations if you could believe that. I think he existed under the name of Ravenous."

Tobbi winked; he was sure that Lord Vexx knew of the beast he was referencing. That battle imparted a lot of knowledge to Tobbi and was very exciting; he wanted to see what this bout had to offer.

TAG: @Grievance Vexx @Darth Nathemus

Last edited:

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Fortress Halls

Rayne would never know he is being watched by the amber eyes of the Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf. He has been under surveillance the whole time, actually; even when he almost ended up being Grog’s next dual purpose chew toy/snack. Clinging to the ceiling and enveloped in the shadows afforded by the poor lighting in the corridors, Grievance Vexx skitters along almost directly above this particular guest, listening to his conversation with EV-A4-D, who makes something of an exasperated noise as he turns to face Rayne.

“First of all, respect your elders,” the droid harrumphs, “That’s right, buddy. I am an antique from the Clone Wars era. Even if you do not yet know my proper name, Mr. Droid would be more appropriate. I am EV-A4-D, but most just call me A4 or A4-D and if you want anything to do with my master, you should make yourself presentable. You look like something the roggwart dragged in. Oh! That’s right! The roggwart did drag you in.”

Though his face is expressionless, the shameless and scathing snark is abundantly clear in this factory reject of a medical droid. He reaches into a random closet along the wall and hands Rayne a towel.

“And yes, you are in the right place for lightsaber combat training,” A4-D continues, “The Krigsbefallaf takes teaching very seriously and is more than capable of training even those whose confidence rests somewhere around their ankles. If I know anything, by now he is probably expecting you.”

“Indeed, I am,” the voice of the Kaleesh cyborg himself echoes from the high, dark ceiling as he moves toward the wall and descends rather like a spider crawling down its web. About six feet from the ground, he flips himself over like a master contortionist to stand two-legged on the floor like most normal sentient beings.

“Welcome, Ingh’rayne Bordst,” his synthetic voice rumbles, “Having survived an encounter with my roggwart, I have faith that you may survive my schooling. Come. I will show you to the chamber where your training will begin.”

Vexx moves away, trusting the latest addition to his collect—err...roster...will follow. The medical droid follows at a distance, silent for now, but that is likely to not last for very long.

“Did you take your cough medicine, Master?” he asks, “You get cranky when you are trying to teach around a coughing fit. I would hate to see this new blood bear the brunt of your cantankerousness on his first day.”

“Yes,” Vexx grumbles, annoyed, “Now go away. Your chatter is very distracting.”

“Fine, fine,” A4-D huffs, then mutters to Rayne, “Don’t worry. If you take injuries during training, I am a doctor. I can fix it.”

“Doctor...” Vexx growls, giving the droid a very irate glare before he points down the hall in the opposite direction, a gesture that clearly says “Begone!”

“All right, all right,” A4-D raises his hands in surrender, “I’m going. Don’t have a coronary. Please. I don’t need that kind of stress in my life.”

A residual growl continues for a few steps after Vexx resumes his heavy pace toward the training chambers, grumbling something along the lines of “meddling medic” as he folds his arms behind his back. He leads Rayne into an empty spacious room. Empty of living beings, that is. As for weaponry, the walls are covered with melee weapons of every sort. Lightsabers, swords, maces, flails, spears; some archaic, some advanced technology.

“Obviously, the fact that you do not own a lightsaber is not a problem,” he chuckles, “But before I put any of these weapons in your hands, Ingh’rayne Bordst, there is something you must do.” He turns to face the Devaronian, his yellow eyes seeming to bore into the smuggler’s very soul. “I want you to reach deep into the Force as it flows through you. There is a word attached to you, Rayne; it has been with you all your life. Whatever this word is, it is what you are to become in combat. Find it; lay hold of it; bring it forth and share it so that I can know where this training must take you. It shall become your battlecry.”

After saying all of this, the cyborg retreats to the shadows, dimming his presence in the Force until it is barely a traceable whisper. The runes in his armor seem to be a physical representation of his Force signature as they, too, grow dim, the glowing crimson being overtaken by inky blackness until only the slightest scarlet hue remains. He will wait in patient silence, giving his newest student the time and space to think and meditate.

OOC- Welcome to Lesson One! This task is designed to connect your character with a descriptive word that will become your goal in combat scenarios. Take your time and find a word that fits. I highly recommend using thesaurus.com to expand potential options as you may find a synonym that sounds more solid or mysterious or intimidating than the original word you want to use. If you have any questions, you are always welcome to PM me. May the Force serve you well.

Tag: @Darth Kratos

Darth Kratos

IC: Ingh’rayne Bordst

Rayne bowed his head to hide his amusement at the droid's offence. Though he appreciated the introduction. "Yes, Mr. A4. Thank you for all you've done for me, uh, sir." As A4 produced the towel, he accepted it gratefully and nodded his appreciation. It was a deceptively large towel, he realized. This came in handy, since he was still dripping with drool. He started drying himself off immediately, starting with his face and horns.

It was entertaining to be the third party to the discussion between the droid and the half-droid. It occurred to him, though he didn't share it, that there were three stages of being here. Rayne, the all-flesh and bone being, A4, the all droid being, and midway between the two, the Krigsbefallaf, Greivance Vexx. He was just finishing up removing the surface drool when Vexx dismissed the droid and started walking away. Ingh'rayne followed promptly, dropping the towel in place. No doubt some lesser-droid would clean it up.

He stood transfixed as Vexx shared with him the training process. Though, he mused at the assumption that Rayne didn't own a lightsaber. After all, he had the one in his collection. It's just that one doesn't pull out a signed zoneball to play a game of catch. That really wasn't important, though, so he didn't share it.

The assignment he brought out was quite interesting, though. A word. A single word. He needed to sit down to peruse this idea. There not being a chair that he could see, he simply sat with crossed legs in the middle of the room, and meditated on it. After what seemed like hours (but was likely much less), he stood up.

"Lord Krigsbefallaf, I choose the word Pride." A pause. "I considered your instructions. I realized I have had that word with me all my life. Pride was instilled in me from a young age through my father. It encompasses many thoughts. Self-esteem, self respect, honor, even dignity. One can be proud of where they come from, or proud of an accomplishment. Though, on the flip-side, there is the adage, 'pride goeth before the fall.' One can have 'false pride,' if they are disingenuous. Pride can be a goal, a destiny. It can also be a warning and a trap. Yet, through all this, pride comes from within," he pointed to his heart. "True pride is earned, not given, and strictly not taken.

"I have worked my whole life and made a good life for me, my family and my crew." He said forcefully, "I have pride in that." Then shifted to sincerity, "Still, that doesn't preclude the fact that I have goals. Sir, I have more pride in front of me." A pause to allow the former thought to cement. "And I'm ready to earn it."

Ingh'rayne Bordst stood there, waiting for the cyborg, Greivance Vexx, Krigsbefallaf of another house, to respond.

Tags: @Grievance Vexx, @dragonsith13

OOC: For all those reading, I know that "pride goeth before the fall" comes from the Bible, but I'm sure the GFFA has some kind of equivalent.

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber XIII

Vexx listens patiently as the Devaronian details out his word and his reasons for choosing it. The cyborg’s feelings in response to what Rayne says are impossible to know by way of facial expression. While his eyes are intensely fixed on his newest student, his skull-like faceplate hides his thoughts well. His presence in the Force stirs gently, building like a flame that has found ample kindling to consume. He can relate to what Rayne is explaining. It is not unlike what was bred into him by his own culture.

“You have a very broad understanding of this word,” he replies, stepping back into the more well-lit center of the room, “This is a good thing. Your wisdom alone will take you far in these teachings, for you see the many facets of something so simple at face value. With your desire to take pride in what you do, I am reassured that you will take care that the wrong sort of pride does not trip you up and lead to the aforementioned fall.”

The Kaleesh takes to pacing, a calm and deliberate gait as he moves purely for the sake of motion itself. While he can be as still and silent as a stone for hours on end, Grievance Vexx has always had an intimidating habit of pacing, though the intimidation is secondary and purely unintentional.

“Remember this word as you move forward in life, Ingh’rayne Bordst,” he states quietly, but with a definite solidarity, “It is now a clearly defined goal that will push you ever forward even when things are not easy. You have stated that you are familiar with hard work. Being a formidable duelist is nothing short of that, but, as in anything, the more you practice...the more self-disciplined you are...the closer you will come to achieving your goal.”

He becomes still once again, his back turned to the smuggler. Some might assume this to be foolish for one who has a tendency to be so distrusting of others, but even this is a strategic move on his part. Nothing the cyborg does is without reason. Nothing he does ever will be, so long as he alone is in control of his own actions.

“You have found your battlecry,” he continues, “Now your next task is to find your war song. Think back to everything you have ever heard and find lyrics that resonate with you. This song, like your battlecry, will ignite your fighting spirit and raise your soul even in the face of defeat. When you have found it, bring it forth so that I, too, may know what words will cause you to rise again even as you want to tap out.”

Once more, the Krigsbefallaf moves away to give Rayne the time and space to think without limits, dimming his presence in the Force to barely a whisper once again. As before, he will wait as long as necessary for the Devaronian to do some soul searching.

OOC- Welcome to Lesson 2! Yes, you are being tasked with finding a fight song. This cannot just be a musical piece. It must have lyrics that resonate with the way you see your character in combat. Music is often a catalyst for inspiration and this is what you are looking for here. Most have leaned on a heavy metal genre for this task. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I have plenty of artists I can share to help jumpstart your search. When you have found a song, post a YouTube link in your post if a link is available. You are also expectd to dissect the song IC and talk about why it inspires you.

Darth Kratos

Rayne, again, had to sit. Partly because he found this exercise to be a bit of a delay for his goal here. When were they going to get to the actual fighting and training?

Yet, he understood how music could inspire. Countless times he's been in the cockpit of his ship, the crew asleep in the back. It's been his watch for the trip they were on. He's put on some kind of music to match or change his mood. Sometimes it would have been something to bring him back to ground level (Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd) or pump him up (Eye of the Tiger by Survivor) or even give him confidence to stand up for himself (Respect by Aretha Franklin).

Though there have been some times when he just wanted something fun (September by Earth Wind and Fire or Rubber Band Man by The Spinners) to listen to.

There have been full songs that have spoken to him (Us and Them by Pink Floyd). Other times it's just been one line or two.

This time, though, it didn't take him much time at all to settle on the song. What took most of the time was thinking about the alternatives to see if there was something better. There really wasn't.

The assignment was to come up with a battlecry, so it would need to be something that moved him, inspired him and pumped him up at the same time. For him, that meant one song
The song itself really is energetic. The beat makes you want to start jumping around. But, then when you start listening to the lyrics, it strikes you:
RISE- Let your spirit fly​
RISE- Stand up for yourself​
RISE- Hold your head up high/Our time has come​
The lyrics were about being your own advocate. It represents being yourself no matter what others might think of you.

Rayne stood up and asked for the Krigsbefallaf to come in. When he did, he tried to convey his thoughts about the song. Rap-style music is not for everyone. But it was clear to him that his choice was sound.

Tags: @dragonsith13, @Grievance Vexx

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Vexx obliges Rayne’s summoning for him to return in all of his growling, grumbling glory, stepping once more from the shadows and coming to a standstill not far from where the Devaronian stands in the center of the room. Through the Force, the Kaleesh gains understanding of Rayne’s chosen song and the feelings it instills
and he gives a nod of approval.

“Well done,” he replies with sincerity, “Indeed, the dueling arena is where one learns to stand up for oneself. If not, one suffers greatly...or perishes.”

He eyes the smuggler knowingly for a moment before he continues, “Keep your ears and your mind open. This is only the beginning of what will become a reliable playlist to revive and inspire you. In your travels, as you pass through marketplaces or cantinas, you may hear another song with lyrics that call to you. We should never be idle in our search for more inspiration, for inspiration fuels passion, and passion will ensure that you continue to sharpen your skill.”

The cyborg issues a quiet, peculiar chuckle—or is it a cough? Either way, Vexx had sensed the slight impatience in Rayne, wanting to get to the actual aspects of dueling beyond this point of mental exercise. It is not uncommon. Most of his students are thrown by the initial tasks presented when they start this training. While the Krigsbefallaf is always amused by the undercurrent of impatience—however slight—he does empathize. He would want to get to the blood and guts of dueling himself sooner rather than later.

“What is your chosen form, Ingh’rayne Bordst?” he asks abruptly, shifting gears to bring things forward into the third lesson in his training, “How well do you know it? Why do you choose it? Talk to me about these things and tell me what you know.”

He pauses and moves away to retrieve a lightsaber hilt from the south wall of the chamber. He tosses the hilt to Rayne, his telekinesis stopping it short of bopping the Devaronian in the head, instead letting it hover within reach, rotating slowly before him as if showing off its tightly-wrapped black leather hand grip and the simple pommel and emitter crafted from a rare copper-rose hued metal.

C272143A-B8D2-4205-BE88-85C5BC20AD79.jpeg

“Take it,” he commands, his authority dispelling any confusion as to whether Rayne is supposed to even touch such a unique specimen from the cyborg’s inherited collection, “Get a feel for its weight against your hand. Demonstrate the opening stance of your chosen form.”

OOC- Welcome to Lesson Three. This task is as it appears. Whatever form you have chosen for your character, describe it in your own words; what you like about it and why you choose it all based on how broad or narrow your character’s knowledge is of the form. As always, have fun with the writing. Whether your character knows much or little, these tasks come without worry of chastisement so long as respect is maintained.

Darth Kratos

He stood and listened as the cyborg opined... then coughed... and shared some more. What he was sharing was valuable advice. He looked down and paced. It helped him listen more to keep his eyes unoccupied.

The question he posed. Ahh. What form, indeed? That's where the difficulty lay. He had no eperience with this at all. He knew a bit about the forms. He'd watched holoprojections of various people battle. But that had been about it. He was lost in his thoughts enough, that when Vexx threw the lightsaber hilt in his direction, he didn't sense it. It was almost upon him when he looked up. He ducked!

Then he looked up. There was the hilt, floating there. He looked up sheepishly, unsure if Vexx had seen him. Then stood up straight again, and took the hilt.

Carefully, he found the activation stud and turned it on. The blade was a copperish color to match the metal. He waved it around a bit to get familiar with it. Then he turned it off.

"I'll be honest, sir. I've taken some martial arts training, but there's a reason it's called martial arts. I don't know that I've ever really... gotten it." He paced back and forth while thinking. "I'll tell you what I know. As I've said, I've taken some martial arts training. None of it involved weapons. I know there's forms to practice and master, and those contribute to being able to defend yourself." He stopped and thought some more, hoping the 'borg wouldn't interrupt his train of thought. "I've seen holovids of various Jedi and Sith and others. I can tell you I admire how Count Dooku, later revealed to be Darth Tyranus, held himself. There was such a flow. Such grace."

He paused. "If that tells you anything at all about me, so be it." He stood facing Vexx, shoulders squared and got down into a general ready stance. He ignited his blade, not sure where to go from here, but the next the move was his.

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

Part of Vexx wants to openly laugh as Rayne ducks instinctively. Another part of him just wants to facepalm. Incidentally, he does neither. Rather, he regards the Devaronian with something of a deadpan expression; certainly not one that betrays his genuine amusement in any way.

C13B49BE-7659-46F4-A626-5E524AC1EB3B.gif

“We have a lot of work to do,” the cyborg mutters, more to himself than anything. He is not completely disheartened. On the contrary, this blank canvas that is Ingh’rayne Bordst is exciting to him. No bad habits to undo, no improper posture or lazy grip on the lightsaber. He can be taught properly from start to finish. The Devaronian’s interest in Form II only adds to the Krigsbefallaf’s eagerness to work with him.

“Ah, you fancy the Contention Form, do you?” The fact that he is pleased by the interest is not lost in his synthetic gravelly voice. “The Force may be with you after all. Form II, better known as Makashi, just so happens to be my core form. When I am engaged in a duel, it comes as naturally to me as breathing...used to. We will not go there. That is a bad analogy in my current state. I’m any case, I can teach you everything you wish to know about the form of Darth Tyranus.”

As Rayne mimics a basic opening stance, the Krigsbefallaf paces toward him, his shadow swallowing up his student as he puts one clawed hand over Rayne’s and adjusts the way he is holding the saber. “Relax your arms, but keep your shoulders square. Close your ribs and you will feel your spine straighten as you hold your center.” He steps back out of Rayne’s personal space and brandishes a blade from his hip armor, demonstrating the opening stance himself.

“You always want to distribute your weight evenly so you can change direction quickly,” he further explains, “Makashi is all based upon calculated advance and retreat, conserving energy while it forces your opponent to waste his own attempting to make a successful strike. Anticipating what your enemy will do helps you know what you must do to stay out of harm’s way, but this skill will come later.” He demonstrates a Makashi flourish a couple of times, his right shoulder turned toward Rayne as he raises his blade to his face, then sweeps it down in one fluid motion so that the saber is pointed downward, but in the same line as the cyborg’s shoulder. Being highly ambidextrous, Vexx changes his saber hand from right to left and back again and the motion is identical from either side. “You try it and do not be afraid to experiment with both sides to find which hand is stronger or more natural for you.”

IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber XII

The Krigsbefallaf listens as Orario details the reasons behind his chosen word. It is not an impossible goal and Grievance Vexx should know. He has brought plenty of terror with his own skill and terror was never really his conscious goal to begin with.

“Instilling terror in your foes is more mental than it is physical,” the cyborg states, “Which is why these lessons begin with the mindset. With this being your chosen word, it is now your goal. It should be ever before you when you step into a duel until the word becomes you and you become the word.”

Vexx steps away from Orario, giving him space once again. Returning to the shadows along the edges of the room, the cyborg dims his presence once again and the etchings in his armor follow suit, dimming from crimson to near black as he fades from dominating the chamber.

“Now that you have found your battlecry, it is time now to find your war song,” he tells his Zabraki student, “I want you to think about every song you have ever heard and find one that resonates with your fighting spirit. Whatever this song is, it should fill you with strength, courage, and determination. It should inspire you to fight even when the battle proves to be difficult. Find the song, Apprentice Starwind, and when you have found it, let it flow through the Force so that I too may know what it is that inspires you.”

OOC- You are now moving into Lesson Two! This task is as it appears. Find a song that makes it easy for you to picture your character in combat; something that inspires a fighting spirit for your imagination when you write. It should be a song with lyrics that speak to you about who you want your character to be in the dueling arena. If you need suggestions on artists with songs of this nature, just shoot me a PM. I have plenty of music I am willing to share. When you find the song that fits, include it in a YouTube link in your next post, if possible.

Tag: @Orario Starwind

I Chose Ragnarok by Peyton Parrish because it holds the warrior spirit with which I am going to fight to defeat and destroy my enemies and the enemies of our great empire. I also chose this because it brings forth courage and strength to the forefront of my mind and helps me to strengthen myself and my abilities. It also gives me a remembrance of my training both in the sith academy as well as the Jedi temple. Remembering my father and the lack of teaching he gave me in actual powers and proper tutelage. @Grievance Vexx

Darth Kratos

Rayne steadied himself. He held the blade in his right hand, straight out from his arm, as he'd seen done in the holos. He ignited the blade and brought it up to his face as he'd seen Vexx do it. It didn't feel right. He took it down again, holding the blade straight out again, at an angle, he put his forefinger down the hilt. He brought that up to his face. That felt better.

Obeying the admonition to try both sides he turned off the blade and shifted the hilt to his other hand. He turned it back on and tried the same exercise. No. Just no. It just did not feel correct left-handed.

He turned it off and swapped it back to his right hand. He realized that this action of bringing it up to his face and back down was somewhat of a "salute." Same as a bow, or presenting of the weapon in other disciplines. It was a way to honor the other combatant before the battle.

"It feels like the hilt and blade are an extension of my arm when I do this. Is that what this is supposed to feel like?"

He looked down at the rest of him. Feet were about shoulder-width apart, shoulders inline with the rest of the body. "And am I supposed to be facing you square-on? Or would it be better," he turned himself side-long, "to present a smaller profile, a narrower target?"

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC - Grievance Vexx

Vexx listens intently as the Force resounds with Orario's chosen war song. He can sense the call to arms and the courage this chant summons within the one who holds it dear. Glimpses of the pain of Orario's past add a counterpoint to the vengeful undercurrent of the rhythm.

"A good choice," he replies at last, "Continue to let this inspire you and do not let your fear control you when you face adversity. May your heart beat with the courage that pounds in the rhythm of your chosen song and let this be the beginning of many songs from which you may draw inspiration and strength. As you travel the galaxy on your journey to greater power, keep your ears and your heart and mind open. You may hear additional songs that inspire you with which you can build a playlist to fuel your courage and determination in combat. Marketplaces, cantinas...there are a variety of places in which you may hear something that resonates with you in addition to this chosen theme."

He studies the young Zabrak with the eyes of a raptor scrutinizing a scrap rat as silence engulfs the chamber for a few moments. The only sound to be heard is the soft mechanical whirring of the cyborg's life support system.

"Now, Orario Starwind of House Syn," the Dark Lord continues, "Tell me about your chosen form of lightsaber combat. Tell me how well you know it and why it is the form you chose. What are it's advantages and disadvantages? Demonstrate for me your form's opening stance."

He steps back along the perimeter, standing at ease with his hands clasped behind his back, watching his student attentively as he awaits the apprentice's presentation.

OOC - My apologies for the extensive delay in response here. DRL had me cornered for a bit, but I am trying to get back in my groove.

IC- Orario Starwind Vassek III - Training chamber XII "Orario reaches for his dual-bladed red lightsaber and holds it out in front of him and ignites both blades on the saber and holds his hands on the lower and upper regions of the saber, like a spear and looks to Lord Vexx." I chose Jar'kai as the form of lightsaber combat I use at all times. It is a combo form from what I have read about it in the archives of the Jedi temple I lived in before I was left by my father and killed him to begin my dark side journey. I was not fully taught it in the Jedi temple. I was more fully taught shii-cho which is required of all jedi. But I hope to learn more of Jar'kai from you, my lord. @Grievance Vexx

IC: Cygnus Luc’idus

The journey proved long and brutal for Cygnus but he’d come to expect travel to be fraught with discomfort. Usually speaking to the voices he alone heard might give him some measure of self soothing, but he didn’t want to appear as that Cygnus. The mad one that could not decide if the insects with massive fangs crawling across the floor of the shuttle were real or not. He could not be that person now.

Rather he passed the journey by opening his disorganized sketchbook and drawing his brief glimpses of Dathomir, a prominent Sith world.

He’s seen only fuzzy images of it from his datapad, so he took a great deal of creative license in rendering it now . The trees wept blood, the seas were filled with dead planets, and the mountains were armored with thorns that pierced the sky, but the blood that spilled from the sky was an insidious green.

At last the shuttle touched down, and the landing ramp descended. Cygnus crammed his sketchbook back onto his bag, called his raven to his shoulder and trod upon the fanged insects. They burst with jets of black blood under his bare feet, but they didn’t make a sound. He decided they were not real. More tricks of his fractured mind. He kept silent as he proceeded into the foreboding entrance, departure then swelling of chattering voices imploring him to turn back.

He could not decide if the feeling of mounting anxiety thumping within him was due to the starkness of the location, the pulsating blue veins embedded in the walls that throbbed with a pulse each time the lights flickered, or the nagging lack of graffiti on this endless stretch of corridor. All the same he was glad he left his spray paint behind, Lord Vexx might not have the same appreciation he did for graffiti.

With the rhythmic flicker of the lights, the pulsating of the veins he felt his heart beginning to race in his chest. A second afterward, then the corridor stretched, and distorted, as if it
where being pulled into the grasp of a black hole. The veins bulge with anger, the duracrete began to fracture as the distortion mounted into a pulverizing wave that was roiling towards him.

His raven clacked it’s beak twice, a marker that Cygnus was becoming agitated and hallucinating. With this awareness, the corridor righted itself. The distortion of space time, the pulverizing wave and the throbbing veins disappeared, leaving only flickering lights and stark, empty walls. “Thanks, bird.” he muttered in praise.

“My job.” answered the bird indifferently.

The corridor terminated into a chamber, a chamber filled with the most glorious sight to the panicked Nagai. Statues! While the darkness was oppressive Cygnus could make out how lovingly they were sculpted. He wasn’t familiar with what species they depicted but their tall proud stances suggested they may have been warriors or rulers. He yearned to study their faces, body structure, and deduce how the sculpture was created. He spent far longer than he intended on this chamber, so lost in the art that even the voices fell silent.

His raven tugged at his tangled black hair, reminding him that he came for a greater purpose than simply admiring the art . His mind was clear as he proceeded toward, the agonizing cacophony of his thoughts gently silenced as he recalled the masterful craftsmanship. It was the composure he’d need for the pending encounter.

If he’d not meet the imposing half cybernetic Lord in the cantina, ge would have bet his paintbrushes the following events were another hallucination. But the raven had already confirmed it was reality. Lord Vexx first manifested as a low rumbling voice, but not one of the ones that preyed within Cygnus’ head. He whipped about all the same, seeking verification of the reality of the voice. He couldn’t locate the source, but a pair of malevolent, glowing amber eyes snapped open and hoovered in midair. Perhaps one less experienced with such ghastly sights might have started, but Cygnus was glad the hovering eyes were not budding infinite limbs, or vomiting or gushing blood. It made it far easier to accept them as reality.

With a mechanical whirling the Sith Lord stepped forth, a nightmarish combination of cybernetic limbs and some manner of species Cygnus possessed no knowledge of. He felt an itch to reach for the Tehk’la blade sheathed at his left wrist, but he suppressed the urge, and remembered the hierarchy and sank into a bow. If Lord Vexx wanted to attack , Cygnus possesed little hope to defend himself as a mere acolyte struggling to remember the names of legendary Sith Lords.

He followed the cybernetic Lords clanking digitigrade steps into another chamber. Cygnus shifted his raven off his shoulder, “Go wait in the other room. I’ll be fine.”

The raven squaked indignantly “Boy!”

“Don’t give me that. I need to do this alone. Now go.”

Grumbling in displeasure the raven glided away. Now he was alone with a Dark Lord of the Sith, and his own fractured mind. He concentrated on making certain he spoke in clear, complete sentences to mask his defects. His naturally high and rather trancelike voice became more focused.

“I am ready to learn, my Lord, but if the combat of your species is anything like that of Nagai, I assume that preparation begins first with the mind, not with the blade.”

Tag: @Grievance Vexx

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

The Krigsbefallaf watches as Rayne experiments with the opening stance of the Contention Form. There is no smugness or scorn to be found in him; only patience as the Devaronian smuggler acclimates himself to the feel of the proper positioning. Vexx's trained eyes and laser focus take in everything from the angle of the blade to the tilt of Rayne's shoulders to the balance of his foot placement. He is, of course, very pleased when Rayne tells him that it feels as though the blade is an extension of his arm.

"That is how you know you have chosen the right form," he replies, the slightest trace of a smile betraying itself in his voice, "When you and your blade are one, many a battle can be won. An old Kaleesh proverb my mother taught me. She laid the foundation for what would become my lightsaber training. There should be no defining line where you end and your blade begins. You move as one; your weapon acts upon your command with focus and precision. Now...let us see how your feet regard the fluidity of the Way of the Ysalamiri."

The doubtlessly heavy cyborg suddenly makes a backward retreat in order to give himself more space to demonstrate. His mechanical legs carry the killing machine away from Rayne with all the grace of a ballet dancer, soundless as an assassin. Not the type of movement one would expect from a creature of his size and stature. He then changes direction seamlessly and comes back toward Rayne, lightsaber held defensively before him as though ready to parry an attack. At the last possible second, he pivots on his left leg in what could easily be mistaken for a pirouette for all the grace involved and his blade arcs over his head and then downward right over Ingh'rayne Bordst as though to cleave him in two from horns to hips. In perfect control of his blade, however, the Krigsbefallaf stops the motion mere inches from execution, close enough that Rayne will likely feel the heat of the blade on his brow. Again, the Kaleesh moves backwards, taking himself out of range.

"Now you try," he says, beckoning Rayne to come toward him, "Stand like so and let one foot lead the other."

OOC- Apologies for the extended wait on this. DRL has a way of not letting go easily.

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber VIII

The Krigsbefallaf regards his newest arrival with a curious gaze, yet even with the curiosity present, there is the heavy feeling that one should tread cautiously in the presence of Grievance Vexx. He watches the raven fly off, a smart aleck in its own right. Somehow the bird reminds him of EV-A4-D. Perhaps it is that hint of snark in its unpleasant squawk. In any case, Vexx doesn't mind its presence.

"Do not defile my statues," he calls after the raven, "I know of you birds and your unsavory habits." To Cygnus, he replies, "You assume correctly. Every battle begins in the mind. It is here that victory or defeat is determined. Come. We have much to discuss."

The metal beast clanks his way down another corridor to a designated chamber, one in which perhaps Cygnus may once again be taken in by Kaleesh craftsmanship as various artifacts from Vexx's home world adorn the surrounding four walls. Scattered in between weapons of every sort are wall-hangings embellished with beads, bone, and feathers; tribal headresses and woven tapestries flanked by shoni spears and lig swords, each one uniquely crafted by Kaleesh belonging to various tribes.

The room is certainly large enough for two combatants to have a go at one another, so there can be no doubt that these rooms were fashioned with lightsaber training in mind, but rather than draw a weapon or take up a fighting stance or even utter an aggressive word, the Krigsbefallaf simply paces into the chamber and to its center, clawed hands clasped loosely behind his cloaked back. He can sense Cygnus following him until he stops.

"To bring your mind to a place of battle is one thing," he states in his low and grumbling voice, "To bring it to a place of victorious battle is another. I want you to search your soul, Cygnus Luc'idus, and find within it a single word that resonates with victory. This word, whatever it is, has been with you since birth. It will bring you courage in the face of combat and remind you why you fight. It is a word which you will become known by as your career among the Sith expands. Use the Force to find it and when you have found it, seize it and pull it close. At this stage, you will have doubt in the word because you will not feel it describes you and that is true. It does not. Not yet. It is a goal that you will set before yourself. It shall be your battlecry. When you have found it, speak the word so that I too may know what your goal is and can better determine the course we should be charting for your journey as a duelist."

OOC- This task is simply for you to find one descriptive word to attach to your character. It should describe what you want him to eventually bring to the battlefield. One word that will make your enemies tremble because they know the word refers to you and your skill. I recommend using thesaurus.com to explore synonyms for a word you might be thinking of. Often there is a word there that sounds better though it means the same thing. If you have any questions, you are of course welcome to PM me at any time. Happy searching and may the Force serve you well. ⚔

Tag: @Cygnus Luc’idus

IC: Cygnus Luc’idus

You don’t need to worry about the bird. It’s not a pet, it’s a highly trained service animal. It knows to only defile Tof artwork.” Cygnus assured Lord Vexx, as he followed him into another chamber. This one filled with more hypnotic works of art, now in the form of traditional weaponry, headdresses and tapestries. One could tell much about a species by their art, especially if they decorated their weapons. The raw tribal nature of the pieces enthralled him, it reminded him of that brief glimpse of Dathomir. He didn’t know the art and weapons of the Dathomirians however, he merely supposed they might look like this. In examining these pieces the culture clearly considers battle sacred and ritualistic, rather similar to Nagai art in fact, but his native weapons tended to be smaller and more modernized. He concluded that this culture, if it was where Lord Vexx hailed from, lived in close connection to its home planet, and combat, reverence and honor were sacred ideals.

Eventually Lord Vexx’s voice pulled him from his trance. Due to the grounding nature of the art his mind did not rebel as it typically did. The giant's rumbling voice was menacing, yet not a misplaced auditory hallucination.

“To bring your mind to a place of battle is one thing, To bring it to a place of victorious battle is another. I want you to search your soul, Cygnus Luc'idus, and find within it a single word that resonates with victory. This word, whatever it is, has been with you since birth. It will bring you courage in the face of combat and remind you why you fight. It is a word which you will become known by as your career among the Sith expands. Use the Force to find it and when you have found it, seize it and pull it close. At this stage, you will have doubt in the word because you will not feel it describes you and that is true. It does not. Not yet. It is a goal that you will set before yourself. It shall be your battlecry. When you have found it, speak the word so that I too may know what your goal is and can better determine the course we should be charting for your journey as a duelist."

With such eloquent and reverent instructions Cygnus found he did not have to search long. He possessed splintered memories of learning similar techniques on Nagi, but there was no time for deeper introspection of his near empty memories. To his people that battle cry was always honor…a word he’d struggled to understand, at least questioned incessantly after 17 years old when his mind fractured.

No…honor would not be his battle cry.

He could wield blades when needed, but it was not a manner of honor, but survival. Yet he’d not come all this way to survive, he’d been doing that rather well for someone with his affliction. He’d come this far in pursuit of knowledge, to master the art of the kill. And in his most grandiose delusions, he saw himself ripping apart the very consciousness of the Universe. and stealing its knowlege. He could almost see the scene just visible beyond Lord Vexx’s hulking form…saw another version of himself reaching into the sky with shadowy claws, and prying apart the stars…even the stars bled molten blood as he tore them asunder.

Delusion” Cygnus said, his silver eyes vacant. “That is my battle cry, but I would prefer to never utter a sound in battle,” he explained, his tone still dream-like. “I wish to tear apart the minds of my targets, for my blades to work so swiftly and subtly they would think a mere delusion seized them before they fall.”

Tag: @Grievance Vexx

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx

The utilization of Jar'kai is a technique that Vexx has to respect in others simply because, while it is immensely easy for him to utilize this tactic thanks to his mechanical anatomy, it proves a bit more challenging for those limited to only two arms. He listens patiently as Orario explains his technique, but at the same time, the Krigsbefallaf recognizes a huge opportunity in which for this young Zabrak student to learn some valuable information.

"Jar'kai is a complicated technique," he replies thoughtfully, splitting his two arms into four and using telekinesis to call four lightsabers from the wall and into his hands, "It took me many years to master such ambidextrous control over my body. But you must know that Jar'kai is not a traditional form on its own, yes?"

He asks this not in a critical or scornful way, but with the patience of an experienced teacher. He knows Orario to be an apprentice eager to please, but in need of precise and helpful guidance. He also knows that ambition without proper direction can lead to ruin and he would rather not see the young Zabrak come to such a fate.

"You cannot rely on Jar'kai alone, hopeful one," he continues in a stern, but gentle tone, "It is a supplemental tactic at best. But suppose you need to use the Force while you are in combat. What if you are pinned under relentless assault and your only hope is to push your enemy away from you? It is very difficult to do this if you rely solely on Jar'kai."

He reaches into his cloak and withdraws a datapad, which he passes to Orario. "I want you to take a look into the seven foundational forms of lightsaber combat. Select one you would like to adopt as your core form and then tell me why it appeals to you. Jar'kai can be applied to any form, you see. But you must have one foundational form to have strength in so that you can adapt when necessary. You say you already know some Shii-Cho; perhaps this would be a good core form to start with, but I want you to have options, so this is why I invite you to do a little research before you decide."

OOC- Everything said in character here is true and I do want you to take your time researching lightsaber forms and think about which one would best suit your character. While Jar'kai can certainly still be used when you fight, it is a "blanket term" that more or less means you are capable of wielding two blades at once. It isn't really a form all by itself. For example, Asajj Ventress is a highly noted user of Jar'kai, but her base form was Makashi as she was trained by Count Dooku who was a master at this form. Ahsoka Tano is also noted for utilizing Jar'kai, but her core form is Ataru. Have fun digging deep into this and thinking about your character. You can PM me anytime if you have questions either here or on Facebook messenger.

Grievance Vexx

Dark Lord Krigsbefallaf
Dark Council
IC- Lord Grievance Vexx
Vassek III - Training Chamber VIII

Vexx blinks in what can only be interpreted as apparent surprise as Cygnus explains the role of the raven and its apparent ability to discern what sort of art makes an acceptable toilet. In his own mind, he had considered Sputnik to be a service animal of sorts, but not entirely. Sputnik is definitely a companion to the Krigsbefallaf, enjoying special privileges not offered to most jumping spiders. Nevertheless, the raven has sparked the cyborg's curiosity.

"Has it a name?" he asks, "What type of service does it provide you?"

These are genuinely curious questions. Animals have often been a source of reassurance to Vexx as they have never failed to recognize him as a living creature despite his droid-like appearance. There will likely never be a day in which he doesn't appreciate them or find them intriguing.

He says nothing more as Cygnus lapses into thought, doing the soul-searching he had been instructed to do. The Krigsbefallaf might as well have become one of his statues in the room as the only motion from him is the slow rise and fall off his shoulders as he draws breath and exhales and the occasional blink of his amber eyes. The only sound of his presence is the mechanical whirring and hissing of his life support system.

When at last Cygnus speaks, Vexx regards him with interest as he decisively declares his chosen battle cry. It is certainly unique and as the young acolyte explains his reasons for choosing the word and what he wishes to visit upon his enemies, the cyborg chuckles darkly.

"Your ambition is noticed," he replies, moving to circle Cygnus not so much to intimidate, but more for the sake of being in motion, "My master was and remains a deadly assassin. While I am a warrior to my core, I cannot deny that some of his habits did rub off on me in my time spent under his teachings. Striking swiftly without warning is one such habit. I have reason to believe you will cross paths with him in the future. Between him and myself, you should be well equipped to carry out your intentions in due time. Now...moving on to the next lesson in preparing your mind for combat."

His heavy, clanking footsteps continue to carry him in a circular path around the chamber and around his student. He had suspected that this quiet Nagai would prove to be a deep thinker with a perspective far different from typical expectations. Even in the small exchange they have had thus far, the Krigsbefallaf is not disappointed.

"There will be times in combat when the odds are stacked against you and you know it," he continues, "It is in these times that you will need something to draw on for inspiration and courage and I am not talking about the typical hatred and anger we call upon as Sith. Music moves the soul in ways that nothing else can. I want you to think back on every song you have ever heard and find one that calls forth courage in your soul; one that helps you visualize yourself in a fight, taking the upper hand and conquering your enemies. You have already found your battle cry; this shall be your war song."

OOC- This task is geared toward combating writers block and helping you visualize your character fighting in a duel. The song should have lyrics to further drive you with inspiring words. If you need resources, just PM me. As a music enthusiast who relies on songs to fuel my writing, I have plenty of recommendations to share. 🙃

Tag: @Cygnus Luc’idus

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums

The Eternal Sith Empire Forums is a new home for one of the largest online Sith roleplaying and fan communities on the internet. We welcome you to join us in discussing lore, socializing, sharing fanart and fanfiction, roleplaying in our vast number of RPGs, and more.

ESE on Facebook

• The Final Sith Order
  • Help and Resources

• FAQ
  • Rules
  • TOS
  • Members online

No members online now.
    Top Bottom